We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Hello. We just got back from Muscat and I highly recommend using the Otaxi app for transfers. It is Oman’s version of Uber and the service was excellent and the rate was impossible to beat. I pre-booked my ride two days before our flight and I immediately received a whatsapp msg from the driver telling us where he will pick us up on the day of our arrival. We were picked up at the departure area as only airport taxis are allowed to take passengers at the arrival hall. Oman Airport has a working wifi service that you can use for free (valid for 3hrs and you can renew at no cost) should you need to contact the driver or request a ride. I did a lot of research regarding Muscat taxis and I’m glad we discovered Otaxi. Usual rate from Muscat Airport to Muttrah Corniche (where we went during our layover) is around 15-20 rials if you’ll use the airport taxi, but we only paid 7 rials. Safety is also ensured as we were told that each driver must undergo rigorous application process before getting accepted. Our driver, Omair, was excellent and he also does city tours upon request at half the rate of other drivers we have asked. I can also share his contact details to anyone interested. :)

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Thank you for this really helpful.

1 post
1 review
2. Re: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

I also had a very positive experience! My driver was telling me all about the city and sites as he drove us to the Sultan Qaboos Mosque. Its comforting to know that drivers are put through such a rigorous process and it also helps that the rides are of high quality and a fraction of the price of normal taxis. If anyone else wants better security, price and quality (with added services) with their ride please feel free to use the discount code EKRPAX.

1 post
3. Re: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Has anyone used it to go to Wadi Shab and back?

1 post
4. Re: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Hello, wmam travelling to Oman in 2 weeks could you share Omair contact details please. Thnx

Edited: 02 October 2018, 08:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)

Lucky you we have just left Muscat 2 weeks ago :(, now on last leg of our trip, Otaxi app is really good. The drivers calk you when they arrive to pick you up. If you pre-book a taxi they call to confirm. Prices very reasonable.

The only thing to note is, and this is no fault of Otaxi but I found that that when we arrived at the airport and purchased a SIM with Omantel at arrivals the Omantel staff told us that Otaxi app no longer works and is no longer operating and we should use Maharba taxi app. Through previous research I knew this was a lie and O certainly smelt a rat. I ignored this "helpful" advice and downloaded and used the Otaxi app. The Otaxi driver th at collected us from The airport explained the airport push Maharba taxi or the airport taxis to tourists because Otaxi is a smaller company and they treat it as inferior. Don't listen to the airport. We only had one issue when a driver arrived to collect us but his English was so very limited we couldn't work out where he was so we had to cancel the booing but apart from that one incident Otaxi were efficient and great.

Reply to: Otaxi (Muscat Taxi)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted