We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Grange

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Grange

For want of a better place to put this, here are some recommendations for things to do in Grange-over-Sands (following a recent trip):

Train over the viaduct to Arnside: check the train times as they are irregular but it's a nice trip over the bay (6 minutes, £2.40 return) to have fish and chips. The fish and chip shop with the blue door came recommended but you can't take dogs in, you can't fit prams in and the outside toilet has no running water to wash your hands but there is an inside toilet

Pork pies from Higginson's butchers. In fact, anything from Higginson's butchers, but the pork pies are delicious

The garden centre (in one of the town car parks) is well-priced and well organised. Lots of good shrubs on offer.

The Treatment Rooms (on the main street, next door to the Co-op Pharmacy) is recommended. I only had a manicure and Shellac but I'd go back again as they did an excellent job. They do loads of other treatments and the staff are lovely.

A walk along the promenade is nice although the sea no longer comes up to the sea wall. At the end of the promenade (by the old Lido which is sadly closed), there is some outdoor gym equipment which is good fun.

I gather that a lot of the pubs in Grange are full of teenagers during the evening and that most adults go to Cartmel for a night out. I didn't go in to any of the pubs so can't comment on them.

10 replies to this topic
Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Grange

I'll second Higginsons butchers, the best pies for miles around.

They sell their pork pie at the Hawkshead Beer Hall at Staveley. Slice of pie and a pint of Windermere Pale Ale is sheer heaven!

2. Re: Things to do in Grange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 12:05

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Grange

I wished TA had a "like" button!! Thanks for your recent trip review & suggestions FlashJackson.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Grange

Hello all,

We staying in a little cottage in Flookburgh on half term week, with our ten year old daughter and eight year old son. Any ideas or suggestions of things to do, places to eat, good parks (am being optimistic here possibly with the weather-ha ha!), walks, places to scooter, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation, really appreciate anyone taking time to reply.

Best wishes.

5. Re: Things to do in Grange

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 13:35

6. Re: Things to do in Grange

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 13:35

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Grange

Queenio it maybe better to start a new thread, but muncaster castle is about an hour away.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Grange

Thanks madmoose much appreciated.

Kirkby Lonsdale...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Grange

Hi can u tell me if there is a main street off the prom with shops bars etc in Grange Over Sands thank you

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Grange

Hi Alan,

It's been years since I last visited. I cannot remember much except that there were nice shops to mooch around and lovely cafes too. There is one called Hazelmere which gets highly rated as a tea rooms and also has a bakery attached too I think, which is meant to be good. However one of the ladies I work with is from nearby and she tells me that the cafe the other end of the row that the Hazelmere is on, is in her opinion better. I can remember a lovely prom, a good children's play area, feeding the ducks and there is also a good butchers called Higgunsons that is supposed to be very good not only for meat, but also for pies too.

I hope this helps. I think there is a Tourist Info in Grange so might be worth dropping an email to them.

Best wishes.

Reply to: Things to do in Grange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grange-over-Sands
Recent Conversations
More Grange-over-Sands Topics