We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations

3 posts
1 review
Restaurant recommendations

Hi, We are staying in Minehead between Christmas and New year and we are celebrating a big birthday. Looking for restaurant recommendations for a good meal out while there. Will be 5 adults and 3 children. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Hi helly, welcome to the forums.

Do you need somewhere that you will walk to or will someone drive?

Is this meal during the day or in the evening?

3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks for responding. We are staying centrally to town and ideally would like to walk. Or if somewhere special further out would consider cab. Planning to eat early evening. Thanks.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Helly I can give you some names of places in the town centre but I don't know their quality or opening hours at that time of year. It's a tricky season when locals aren't eating out much between the two celebrations and its a low time for visitors.

Mullions (I see it is about to change hands) - The Wheel House (seems to be under new management as looking more lively) - The Queens Head Inn - Faustos (is Italian) - there is an Indian which is long established, further up a Chinese similar.

The Beach Hotel is unique as in it is a training place for youngsters but under excellent staff. Very modern, one of our regular posters had their large aniversary party there and were pleased.

Off the main track but not far if you go up the parallel residential road is the Kildare Lodge. Very good food and strong local clientel. It is also a pub/bar/hotel/restaurant with a big open log fire.

I've had a quick look at the websites not all have their opening hours so I think it would be worth ringing the ones you fancy to see if they know what times they will be open on the date you want.

Also when looking at the reviews remember that many are breakfasts and lunches, cream teas etc and look through for the evening meals. It can be a different experience with full evening meals.

It's quite a while till the dates so I'll keep a look out for you when I'm in town, see if the opening between Christmas and New Year are obvious.

3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thank you so much for the information. I have been looking at a few of the ones you've mentioned and I'm planning on calling them to see about menus/opening times soon. I just wanted to get some local advice/info before I did so. Thanks again. H

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Sorry I couldn't be more definite. It's low season and a couple I would mention the owners recently retired. Locally we would travel a short distance by car apart from a few of the ones I mentioned.

If you don't feel you've found quite what you are looking for also investigate Dunster and Porlock. These two villages are only a short distance away so a taxi between you should be quite reasonable. The children would quite likely be facinated by Dunster at night with the Castle floodlit above the village. Also there is an open log fire in the Luttrell Arms. The smaller places there are good too I've been told.

Reply to: Restaurant recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minehead
More Minehead Topics