We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hign Speed train due at Minehead

bristol
Level Contributor
305 posts
5 reviews
Hign Speed train due at Minehead

Saturday 13th May 2017.

Should encourage a few more to visitors to the resort on the day

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,440 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

It's got an interesting route.........can't totally follow it but will have to ask.

I'm not sure about how there will be a link at Taunton as they've always said they wouldn't allow it. However maybe because it's a charity run they will. It would be an interesting precident.

The whole joy of the trip down the WSR is the lovely scenery and tiny Victorian stataions so hope they don't go fast lol.

I see the Flying Scotsman is coming again in September too.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it. We're a bit slow and countryfied down here and news spreads slowly ;-)

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
391 reviews
2. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

The HST will be limited to 25mph under the WSR Light Railway Order.

So a Low Speed Train!

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,251 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

There is a link with the National Rail network south of Taunton, but trains can only use it by prior arrangement. Just beyond the junction there will be a point where Network Rail amd the West Somerset Railway interface, and staff from both must be in attendance when a train passes that point.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,746 posts
476 reviews
4. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

I've taken a HST on the low speed line to Newquay. It was fun! I'm sure this will be a great experience, too!

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,440 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

Interesting Wirewiper. I knew the line used to remain in place to Taunton - not that they could go onto the main line, wasn't sure it still was as our begging for a train into Taunton station has fallen on deaf ears for so long - and I mean loooong.

I used to travel daily when the trains (British Rail) used to operate Minehead to Taunton as did many others. Morning and evening always full. Very convenient and connected with buses - ah those were the days.

Wonderful way to see the countryside both an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (ANOB) the Quantocks and through low coastal Exmoor with views of the hills.

Used to see the wildlife in the fields, undistrubed by the train. Just lovely.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,251 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

Yes, it's a pity that Network Rail cannot co-operate more with private companies such as the WSR, which could still have a viable connection with the national UK network.

One problem is that, if one train operator delays another's trains on the Network Rail system, that operator becomes responsible for delay payments. This isn't a big problem for the big franchised operators who are supported by Government payments, but if a WSR train were to break down and stuff operations at Taunton Station, the delay payments due to GWR and Cross-Country could potentially bankrupt them in no time.

Edited: 11 April 2017, 13:56
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,440 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

That's a thought Ww. But I see the latest proposal (which I've heard before) is that mainline trains would run a service to Bishops Lydeard to connect with the WSR.

Freight tracks seem to be the option but can't find a site that shows where they run and what they are and to see the state of play.

Personally that seems complicated in running, ticketing and having to change after 4 miles. Can't see anyone wanting to run a mainline train for such a short distance with staff rotas, insurance and all the other gubbins that goes with it.

If they ever do I hope they get the heating working in winter which used to be conspicuous by it's absence in my commuter days.

Shame though. Still have friends I made on that journey. More difficult to do on a bus.

8. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2017, 06:05
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,440 posts
111 reviews
9. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

Hello Guy and welcome to the forums.

Your cause is a good one, you post done with the best of intentions.

Just to advise/warn you, TA takes a dim view of people using their site for fun raising, promotion etc and however wonderful your intentions and cause your posts could end up being deleted because of this. I hope it stays but just be careful about spreading it over multiple forums because what you are posting is against the guidelines on more that one level.

We all have wonderful local hospices which we support but thank you for the offer of the discount code. Hope it raises tons of money.

10. Re: Hign Speed train due at Minehead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2018, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Minehead
More Minehead Topics