We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Express coach to butlins

Surrey, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
National Express coach to butlins

Hi has anyone ever got a national express coach to butlins i know we have to change bus Taunton but whats was the jouney from Taunton like?

Edited: 19 March 2017, 16:39
14 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,012 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Probably best to get the bus at the bus station because you'll get a seat on the bus. The next stop the train station and there are crowds waiting to get on. Bus 28

Also there is a snack bar at the bus station and a pub next door that does pub meals and you can sit inside and out.

It's about 1hr50min journey - the time should be less but there are road works out of town and on a Friday that means queues so you may find it's 10mins less if its not too bad. If you can come earlier in the day the better.

The journey is usually a time to see the lovely scenery which is an are of outstanding natural beauty and the National Park. If the bus is packed that's probably not going to be so easy.

The bus ends at Butlins.

It used to be if you asked the driver for a return you get a ticket to keep and then it's only £1 for the return. Don't know if they still do this but it's worth asking.

Again, returning get the bus outside Butlins so you get a seat.

https:/…swe_41-28-_-y10

If there are several of you you may think of a taxi. There are some at the bus staion sometimes, otherwise there is a taxi rank nearby. Out of the station, the small road in front of you and turn left. It's just a bit along from there. Should be about £40. If you come out of the bus station and go across the Green towards the castle arch but turn right just before it there is a lane and toilets there. Straight on is the taxi rank.

Edited: 19 March 2017, 17:03
Surrey, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Thanks for the info.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,012 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Your welcome.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Might be worth experimenting with journey. Tested for 15/04 depart London Victoria 10:00, return 22/04 @10:30. Adult return fare £48.70. Same journeys but booking to Taunton £32.20, so National Express are charging £16.50 for Taunton to Butlins, If Toopaz is correct (always is!) about the £1 fare then saving should be there. First bus has a family ticket for £20.00 for the day (Somerset Network). (Journey for 2A,2C compares at £149.80 / £99.00 return).

https:/…ticket-prices

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,012 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Express coach to butlins

The trouble is Penmere that National Express itself doesn't go to Minehead/Butlins.

I don't know if it somehow is including the bus in the all in one fare. It's a weird result but may be the answer.

The price used to be £4.50 or so for the journey Taunton to Minehead.

I know there is a train/bus fare to go Taunton to Bristol Zoo. I've never found it works out cheaper though it's billed as something special.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Express coach to butlins

National Express show a through fare to Butlins, with the onward journey using the 28 service which you describe, with a change at bus station. So as I said the extra fare for an adult return is £16.50, for the experiment I made, so the fare you guess at £4.50, + £1 return would show a saving. Suggest you check on National Express web-site, it is what the OP is asking about. But I agree it is very odd. Bit like Padstow being included on National Rail as a destination.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,012 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Express coach to butlins

I misunderstood your post Penmere. You see, I'm not always right ;-)

It's always worth looking closely at these things. So much is made to appear as a 'bargain' without saying anything of the sort these days. It's the latest marketing ploy from food to holidays but so many people don't check.

That's where TA help comes in so useful for the people who ask first.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Tried it for Butlins Skegness; direct coach, so it looks like there is some tie up between National Express and Butlins. National Express can be very confusing on-line as destinations such as Milton Keynes Bowl, Glastonbury Festival, Wembley Stadium, Bude, with one off events or Summer only are left on the system.

(And I'm frequently mis-understood because of poor explanation - we are all well intentioned).

Minehead, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National Express coach to butlins

There are no National Express buses to Minehead, just the 28 from Taunton - First Bus aka Buses of Somerset.

Minehead's own town service, and the service to Porlock are under threat again, having been withdrawn completely early this year, but reinstated - due to end February 2018.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,012 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National Express coach to butlins

Just to be clear Chris is refering to the local town bus and one to a village near Minehead.

The 28 First service Taunton to Minehead continues to run every 2 hours.

Reply to: National Express coach to butlins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minehead
More Minehead Topics