We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed

2 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

Hello,

I am thinking of buying in Ipswich - From the research I have done places like Woodbridge and the north east side are seen as more desirable areas but I have seen a house I like at a reasonable price that backs chantry park in gripping area. I have been reading mix reviews, about it being a high crime area. The estate agent says it’s in the south side of Ipswich and some reviews say that is a nice part. The roads near where I would like to buy are milden rd, lavenham road. On streetview area looks nice to me.

Anyone give me some advice please, I live in london and although I have been to Ipswich a few times I am not That knowledgable about the areas.

8 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

Relocation questions aren't allowed here, and it is likely that sooner or later someone will report this thread as inappropriate and get it closed.

I can't help with your question (I live near Ipswich, and have worked in Ipswich, but don't really know the area you are looking at)... but have you tried a forum such as Nexdoor which is a community forum? I don't know how much activity there is on Nextdoor Ipswich, but it's worth a try.

2 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

Sorry I didn’t realise. I saw through a google search someone else asked and got a helpful response which was why I started a thread. Thankyou for letting me know.

Edited: 23 November 2020, 08:30
UK
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

No need to be sorry about anything - just thought I'd give you a heads-up as it only takes two people to click the "report inappropriate post" button before a post gets deleted with a message saying that "the community" deemed it inappropriate. You may be lucky - you may get a few helpful responses (there is actually a very helpful Ipswich chap who frequents this forum).

I would have been happy to offer better advice, but as I said I don't really know that part of Ipswich. I used to work the other side of Ipswich (IP3-land) - where Greenwich is the one area not to be touched with the proverbial bargepole.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
217 reviews
135 helpful votes
4. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

That specific area isn’t bad - other side of London Road (A12) is a big council estate called Chantry...

It’s just off the main road but not far from big supermarket etc

Obviously near the park which is normally quiet (but with some of the issues blighting parks nowadays) though there was a big concert last year which some loved/some didn’t. There was talk of similar events being held but they were put on ice for obvious reasons.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
217 reviews
135 helpful votes
5. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

Relocation questions didn’t used to be allowed on here, but that changed a while back so they should be now. Sometimes people report them as not travel related nonetheless.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
1,909 reviews
1,928 helpful votes
6. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

I pmed the OP and informed her that there had been others on here including the one on the Devon forum.

UK
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
7. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

"Relocation questions didn’t used to be allowed on here, but that changed a while back so they should be now."

That's useful to know. Thanks, g0akc! (The helpful chap I was referring to in my first post!) :-)

It was never my intention to report the post (that's so petty!), but I wanted to give the OP a heads-up in case her post suddenly disappeared. That standard message about "the community" is so off-putting, especially for a new contributor.

Sarah, I can't really add anything, other than to say that I hope you get the house you were looking at and that all goes well with the move. If it doesn't, and you need to look at other parts of Ipswich, don't hesitate to come back.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,769 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Save

One further piece of advice that I would give (and it isn't just applicable to one area in Ipswich) is to go into Google Maps and select Streetview. You can move along streets and look left and right in it, and by looking not just at the road your potential new home is in, but at nearby shops, the routes to public transport and any parks etc, you can get a surprisingly good idea of an area. Is is neat and tidy, do the houses (and any shops) look well maintained or are they run down, are there signs of graffiti, what are any traffic calming measures like?

The satellite view can be useful too for seeing how neat back gardens look, you won't get a detailed view but quite a good general impression is possible.

Reply to: Thinking of moving to Ipswich - advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ipswich
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.