We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

Hi,

Was hoping to get some advise on Lofthus, cant seem to find much information on it.

I read that it has nice fruit orchards and would like to visit it. However im confused as there seem to be other areas like Ulvik that has some fruit tour as well.

My travel plan are as follow, i am mainly doing the norway in a nutshell and incorporating the fruit trail, and need some help to fit the fruit trail in.

08:11 - 12:53 Oslo - Mydral

13:27 - 14:25 Mydral - Flam

15:10 - 17:20 Flam - Gudvangen (via cruise)

17:25 - 18:20 Gudvagen - Voss

Seems pretty late to travel to Lofthus as it is an hour plus drive away.

I was wondering if i should:

Stay a night at Voss and rent a car the next morning and drive down to Lofthus for the fruit trail, and return the car at Bergen. Would it be expensive?

Or could someone please advise me on the best way to go about see the scenic rail + fjords+ fruit trail. Gotta start from Oslo to Bergen, and i have 2 days one night.

Thank you!!

4 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,468 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

The fruit blossom season is late may/early June but please note that it can vary a bit from year to year depending on late or early spring. The fruit orchards are plentiful.

www.visitnorway.com//en/Product/?pid=31839

Instead of the route you are planning, you could visit Hardanger instead. Hardanger is simply a different fjord area to the one you are listing.

norwaynutshell.com/en/…prices

Edited: 19 February 2012, 08:00
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

Thanks for the information, I'm traveling around 12 may, which means I might not meet the cherries season I guess..will still visit hardanger.

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

Lofthus/Ullensvang is an important fruit growing area because of the gentle climate (few places at 60 North can grow berries and fruits like there, even apricots and peaches thrive along these fjords). Also in Ulvik and other places along fjords there are nice fruit gardens.

But most important: This area is very nice in spring, green and fertile below, white snow and glaciers above.

bioforsk.no/ikbViewer/…20RVP.jpg

glimrende.com/Geocaching/…ViewOfLofthus.jpg

…wordpress.com/2010/07/hardanger.jpg

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May

Omg, it's breath taking.. Thank you so much! I'll probably make it to Ulvik, as it seem nearer and easier for public transport?

I was trying to figure out the bus schedule, and it seems that from Voss to Ulvik, the latest bus is at 16:45? So I guess I'll have to skip the cruise ride then.

Reply to: Help need for Norway trip (Fruit Trail) in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hordaland