We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Christmas & New Year?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Between Christmas & New Year?

I'm looking at visiting Tromso 26 December - 30 December. I have a second period in mind being 3 January - 7 January. I prefer to visit in the December period but I need to ask about how much of Tromso shuts down between Christmas and New Year? I assume tourist activities are safe but what about shopping centers, restaurants etc? I just want to make sure it won't be a ghost town during our down time in that period. Where I live in Australia, people go crazy in the festive season and so many businesses shut down for sometimes over 2 weeks from Dec 24 until the first Monday of January.

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
10 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,908 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

How can there be a ghost town in tourist high season ? Some restaurants and attractions may be closed on the 24th and the 25th and Jan 1st, but there will always be options.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
522 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Hi Jaroslav - a fellow Aussie here who stayed between the 30th Dec and the 3rd of Jan just gone.

I think either of your dates would be ok - it's pre Christmas and New Years Day you need to be more prepared for.

We found that the sporting goods & dress shops, most restaurants and the larger supermarkets were closed on 31 Dec and/or 1 Jan. Some of the smaller stores were closed for longer, but as a tourist you are unlikely to find this an issue.

Tourist activity stores or attractions were more likely to be open, although some attractions had revised operating hours, but your hotel will know this info.

The 1st Jan was the most inconvenient (completely understandable) - finding food was difficult outside the hotel. Hot tip regardless of when you travel, buy snacks before entering Norway (or any of the Nordic countries) - It's expensive!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,908 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Last year the Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve were on Sundays, shops would be closed on Sundays in any case. When these days are on weekdays, shops are open till around 4pm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
522 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Handy to know - we have Sunday trading (or reduced trading on most Public Holidays) in most parts of Australia - you get used to what you know!

Edited: 29 January 2018, 10:14
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Hi there, I m from Perth in Australia, and we also looking to travel to Tromso from 31 Dec to 3rd Jan this year.

Wonder do we need to book the accommodation and activities well in advance?

We are looking at the Clarion The Edge for our 3 nights stay, but their website doesnt seem bookable.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,908 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

You need to book in advance, but not a year in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
522 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

If you want a larger than normal room, or a room with a view, then the earlier the better. We got a harbour view room at the Clarion With (IMO better views than The Edge, but a smaller hotel without a fully operating restaurant onsite) by booking in April for the New Year just gone.

For tours, again it depends on what you want to do. We saw people booking on the day at the tourist office for the larger, bus tours etc, but if you want a smaller, personalised Lights tour with a highly rated provider, then look to book early.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Many thanks for the advice.

We are a family of 4 (2 kids age 11 & 13), and looking to book either Clarion With or Clarion The Edge.

But our travel agent cannot get any confirmation with The Edge (nor online), so wonder which one is better? ( I am thinking 2 separate rooms or 1 big family room)

Also, is it easier to arrange the Tromso tours/activities (i.e. Northern Lights & Whale cruise, city walk, Fjord Tour etc) by ourselves or by the travel agent?

Sorry for that many questions.

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,908 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

Try the site for the chains and the hotels directly, andlook up the reviews on TA and booking.com for example.

https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/…

Edited: 02 February 2018, 16:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
522 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Between Christmas & New Year?

I booked everything directly using the website above, and also arranged our tours with the operator.

Keep in mind it is peak tourist season for Tromso right now. It's not an excuse, but that might slow down response rates at the moment. But if you book online, there's no need for email correspondence.

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Reply to: Between Christmas & New Year?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted