We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Hi...I will be spending a week in Tromso in early February. I will be on booked excursions for half of my time, the remainder of which I intend to explore Tromso Island by foot. I am staying in the middle of town and the furthest I would want to walk would be to the beach area at the south of the island, the arctic cathedral and the park/lake in the centre of the island. No great distance...but the images on google maps are taken during the summer... If I have good winter clothing and crampons is it practical to walk to these kind of places? Thanks & Regards...

Edited: 17 January 2018, 19:58
5 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,315 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Yes, you may certainly walk - should not be a problem at all unless the weather is prohibitive.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Hei Mark,

I'm just back from Tromsø and like you booked excursions, but did everything else by foot. I walked to the Telegrafbukta in the South, as well as to the cable car (past the Arctic cathedral). With good clothes this is no problem at all, as the distances are all in all fairly small. They do call Tromsø the city of ice though and I discovered why, as many streets are completely covered by a thick layer of ice. Usually this is sprinkled with tiny pebbles to provide some beter footing, but it's absolutely worth it to get some of those (cheap) metal studs to put over/under your shoes. Just be sure to remove them when stepping indoors :)

Greetings,

Yasa

Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Many thanks!

Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

Thanks...yes, I have some crampons - I definitely need to practise getting them on and off, though!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
243 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...

I stayed in Tromsø for three months and got around in the winter via bus and walking. I walked all over the island in a pair of regular winter boots and also jogged around the island using running shoes with cleats that I bought at a sporting goods store in the city. You should also be able to rent cross country skis to get around. Tromsø is beautiful in the winter.

Reply to: Exploring Tromso on Foot...in Winter...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tromso