We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in or near Tromso

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Where to stay in or near Tromso

Hi, Myself and three friends are flying to Tromso mid March for three nights (I wish it were longer!)

We are obviously hoping to see the Northern Lights and someone mentioned that it may be possible to see them from the City. Is this true? If not, how far out of Tromso do you need to be to possibly see them? any accommodation recommendations will also be gratefully received.

2 replies to this topic
3 posts
1. Re: Where to stay in or near Tromso

We did a tour and, against expectation, saw a lovely display about 90 mins out of Tromso. The tours basically drive you to where clear skies are predicted and then wait for something to happen. They're not cheap (or foolproof) but they're your best bet for a memorable experience. I would recommend a minibus rather than a coach, more personal and also easier to park. Yes, you might see some lights from the city, but it's more fun lying in a snowy field. Good luck!

E O
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay in or near Tromso

You can see them from the city, but it depends on the weather and the sunactivity. I dont think I would take a chance on seeing them from the city if I would be here for just some days. If you drive out from the city it again depends on the weather. The tours cost a lot, but they drive to where you have a bigger chance of seing them.

I would keep my eyes on the night sky when you are here, they might just pop up. Often i see tourists stop in the middle of the street because the NL become visible.

Reply to: Where to stay in or near Tromso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted