We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

We are avid concert goers in the US and would love to choose the best concerts musically that are available during our visit. My husband has loved Strauss since childhood, and I love everything, but am a singer so would like some vocal. I believe that we have decided to try to get tickets to Carmen at the State Opera House on the 4th (Traviata looks sold out) and we are thinking of a Saturday, August 31st orchestra concert as well, but could do Sunday or Monday too. I see the Vienna Hofburg Orchestra at "Redoutensaal", the Vienna Royal Orchestra at Imperial Hall, and the Salonorchester Alt Wien at Vienna Kursalon. It looks like there is also an orchestra at the Schonbrunn Palace and the Residence Orchestra at"Auersperg Palace", Arsenal. The one other event I see it the Classic Exclusive - St. Anne's Church on Sunday night with Ensemble Concertante Wien.

Does anyone have advice on where we would hear the best music, or other options than the ones I have stated that might be better? Thanks for any input!

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

Summer is difficult in Vienna as famous orchestras are out of town and most places close down. All the concerts mentioned are tourist events - they are not bad but of course not like a Vienna Philharmonic or Symphonic orchestra. Try to get into opera house and check Vienna boys choir if you like it.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

At the Opera house, the current production of Traviata is really strange, go for Carmen which is a wonderful classic production and the cast is quite good too.

As mentioned above, the classical concerts you have found for your dates are all events for tourists, some with performers wearing period costumes, and certainly not directed at avid concert goers like you. Unfortunately, the proper concert season only starts in September...

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

Thank you both for your responses. We have purchased tickets to Carmen and are looking forward to it!

4. Re: Concerts in and around Vienna, August 31st - September 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18