We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

Hi guys, I'm traveling from Budapest to Vienna next weekend and was looking to purchase tickets from OEBB.at

I'm a university student (age 24) and i'll be traveling with another friend of the same age.

When we tried to buy the tickets, Oebb listed the one-way total price as 19 Eurs and said that "2 people may travel with this ticket". Hence only 1 ticket was necessary.

Is correct? because i've never heard of such a discount before and was wondering if this offer is correct before buying my ticket.

Thanks!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

Unless I'm mistaken you cannot book this journey on OeBB as it starts in Hungary. I think the advice usually given is not to use the Hungarian Railways website, but to just buy at the station in Budapest. The price will be the same.

singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
2. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

that's weird, i can select the option to buy tickets from the website though.

Will tickets be sold out during this time of the year in general?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

No, they can't sell out. €19 for two is a good price, but when I looked at the ticket booking page it was only offering this price for slow trains with two or three changes, not for the direct trains. If you are OK with that and it lets you book online then go ahead!

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
4. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

I don't think that you will then pay the cheaper ticket price. You will probably pay the equivalent of 74,80 Euros in hungarian forint for both. But I'm not 100% sure. If it would have been the same procedure in Vienna you would have paid the normal standard price at the same day of departure.

Regards

Ottavio N.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

During the reservation process, did you state that 2 travel together?

I did a query using a random date and figured out that ÖBB basically does not do ticketing for departures out of Hungary. Nonetheless there is one connection (involving two transfers) for which a fare is stated. When you click on the details you realize that the proposed fare only covers the final part of this specific trip (Bruck an der Leitha > Vienna) which takes place within the network of ÖBB (hence within Austria).

As already suggested and mentioned, tickets for a rail trip commencing in Hungary need to be purchased from the Hungarian railway operator MAV - either on the respective website or in person at a station. Discounted tickets sell out (quickly), while regular tickets can always be bought - even a few minutes prior to departure.

singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
6. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

Thank you! so the trains cant sell out?

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
7. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

No, they can't sell out. The ticket gives you the permission to be transported and not the permission to be seated. That's why sometimes on peak times trains might as well be full with pasengers seating and standing. But not on on the Budapest-Vienna leg.

Regards

Ottavio N.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 12:45
singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
8. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks guys!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

Just go to www.mav-start.hu, click EN top left for English and book from Budapest to Vienna by train from €19 each.

You collect tickets from the self service machine at Budapest Keleti

Simples!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,168 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Student Ticket Prices from Budapest to Vienna

It is only €13 if you buy through Hungarian Railways

Guide for purchasing here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…