We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

Hello. I have confirmed flights to Vienna in July, but I am not sure how many days to spend there. I am not real big on art museums or opera and classical music and I am aware Vienna has many of these places. My interests are more of the history, churches, old buildings, etc. I know that Vienna is a beautiful city, but I would like to use my time wisely. I have purchased Rick Steves' guidebook for Vienna, but I would like to get some opinions from people who are from the area. My question is: would 4 days be enough to see the major attractions in Vienna (minus the art and music attractions)? I would probably visit a couple of the major art and music museums, but no more than that. Thank you for any advice you may provide!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,578 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

What's wrong with Rick Steve's recommendations. I'm sure more or less everything we'd suggest is in there. Many museums are in famous old buildings so be prepared to visit a few. Four days should be fine and you should allow time just to wander the inner city taking in the myriad of less important buildings and churches which you'll find down many side streets. There are too many for us to give you a list on here, but half the fun is discovering them.

Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

Thanks for the reply! Nothing is wrong with the recommendations of Rick Steves. I was just curious if someone else had come across the same situation and had additional recommendations. The guidebook doesn't give time recommendations, so I don't want to short myself in Vienna nor do I want to stay for a longer period of time as I will be visiting a few other cities throughout my break. I will definitely wander the inner city : ). Thanks again for your help!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

"What's wrong with Rick Steve's recommendations" - everything and at the same time nothing. Some people treat it correctly as "a guide" others "a way of life".

Nothing wrong in asking questions - just because it is in a guide doesn't mean you have to see it.

Obviously you are the only one who can determine what really interests you (and what doesn't) and that will determine "how many days".

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,578 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

You're right that no guide book should be taken as a bible. Rick Steve's recommendations are no more valid than Lonely Planet, Rough Guide or Time Out and therefore no more valid than mine or any other DE's. When I first started exploring Vienna I got a guide book (long out of print) that included comprehensive walking tours of the various districts. I found some of the unheralded discoveries in little side streets and squares pleased me more than some of the major sights. My advice is always to use a guide book to get an idea of where well known buildings are, but don't stick to it religiously and don't be afraid to "explore".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

Have a look at the Vienna tourism website as well. We found it very helpful in planning our trip last year -

http://www.wien.info/en

By plugging your particular interests into the search engine, you can find all sorts of ideas.

We spent four nights in Vienna; so, it was actually about 3 1/2 days. We wouldn't have wanted any less time. (We are not Museum people, preferring to focus on one or two museums and spend the rest of the time wandering around a city.) The city is really an architectural (Baroque) feast - everywhere you look - at least inside the Ringstrasses.

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

you can always do a day trip to Wachau Valley and visit Melk Abbey. Or take the train up to Bratislava. No reservations required, just buy tickets that morning

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

I suggest doing the walking tours (there are 3) listed on the Frommer's website. They all highlight interesting periods of Vienna's history and will take you places you might not find on your own.

I also suggest going up to Kahlenberg (a large hill/small mountain) on the edge of Vienna and hiking down for a dinner at a heurigen in Nussdorf. Search the forum for tips and information on this excursion. Easy to do on public transport and the walking is all downhill.

During the summer, there is a large movie screen in front of the Rathaus (city hall) where movies/theater productions are shown every night. Better still, you can get a bit to eat from one of the many food stalls set up in the same area. Many well known restaurants rent out these outdoor stalls and serve pretty terrific food for a good price. Get a glass of wine, sit by one of the fountains, excellent people watching.

Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

You are all giving me great ideas! Thank you! Keep them coming please!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

You never know - you might even enjoy a museum or two. Having been brought up in museums almost from birth and having been dragged around Europe's major (and not so major) museums as a child, it naturally had a deep psychological effect and I am only just starting to venture into museums again; some of them are really not bad ...

Edited: 07 March 2012, 16:39
Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: If Museums Do Not Interest Me....

GCEK....you have a good point. I will definitely wander into a couple of museums....at least. I just want to make sure I get the other main sights into my schedule. It looks like Vienna is a wonderful place and has many historical places, so I should be able to fill at least 4 days with no problem. I have 5 days that I could spend in Vienna, but I think I will do a side trip or add that day to my next destination, which is Berlin. Thanks for the suggestion!