We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from barcelona

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from barcelona

hi everyone,

We are considering hiring a car from Barcelona airport and drive to Soldeu Feb 2017 half term. Do you recommend hiring snow chains? If so are they easy to fit? Any other essential gear we need/recommend?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from barcelona

We have hired for similar dates and the costs on some of the agents was fairly bad. On the basis of advice from one of the local hire/transfer agencies via mail I am working on checking the weather on the day and making a decision based on that. This thread on the forum of the same company sums it up for me so if anything I will purchase from teh supermarkets near the borders. If it definitely looks bad weather in the days before will contact the hire agency at the airport(or take some with me)

arinsal.co.uk/forum/…

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from barcelona

Thanks for that. We were skiing in El Tartar couple of years ago with a group of friends so we're able to hire a large minibus for the transfer. The roads seemed really good, wide and kept clear of snow ( we had fab snow conditions for the week). Just concerned about whether the local transportation routinely has snow tyres and whether that would make a huge difference with us? Decisions decisions

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from barcelona

We have hired cars from Barcelona a few times, we keep an eye on the weather forecast, we don't hire snow chains, we stop at a garage or supermarket if needed, and buy snow socks, usually 25-30 euros. We've only needed them twice in 9 years of going to Soldeu, if you need to buy them whilst your in resort,the garage in El Tarter sells them.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from barcelona

You need to have snow chains . Probably won't need them, and they're a b1tch to fit.

theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chai…

Edited: 15 October 2016, 22:47
Tirol, Austria
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from barcelona

Definitely make sure your hire car has winter tyres, which will definitely reduce the likelihood of needing chains

Reply to: Car hire from barcelona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soldeu
Recent Conversations