We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
85 reviews
Long Stay Northern Cyprus

We are currently spending the summer in the South and have plans to enjoy an extended stay in Northern Cyprus next year.

We are UK passport holders and I understand you are allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 days. What are the options to extend this? There appears to be conflicting outdated advice on the internet.

If leaving Northern Cyprus is an option, would that include crossing the border?

I would welcome any advice or suggestions. Many thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Yes , simply cross over on foot at Ledra Street , re - enter and you'll get another 90 days , plenty of expats here have been doing just that for 10+ years .

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Thanks ttoli for your reply. Good news!

One other query you may be able to help with. We have purchased a car here in the south. If we decide on Northern Cyprus next year and are able to store the car with friends here for a few months, it seems sensible to keep it.

Any implications to driving a southern registered car in the north for an extended period - other than, of course, only having third-party insurance? Thanks again.

Karsiyaka, TRNC
Level Contributor
866 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Ref driving the RoC registered car it is not permitted although you might get away with it. However if you are stopped by the police the vehicle can be impounded. Also, if you are intending to stay for longer than 90 days, unless you are driving a hire car you have to apply for a TRNC driving licence.

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Thanks for your reply, cyprusjo, but I don't understand your statement "driving the RoC registered car is not permitted". Cypriots and ex-pats drive into TRNC regularly in their own car for shopping, holidays, etc. without their vehicles being impounded! We were there last week and happily sold insurance at the border and had our papers checked by Turkish police.

Also, if we left Northern Turkey after 90 days we could return and stay longer presumably?

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

dande49, You are correct , however, aware that cars are much cheaper in the South, If the TRNC authorities see a pattern emerging ie someone clearly living in the North but driving a South registered car then crossing to the South and re-entering the North ,when their 90 days are up , then , the vehicle can be impounded.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 11:05
Karsiyaka, TRNC
Level Contributor
866 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Hi sorry I didn't explain very well. I meant exactly what ttoli said above.

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Many thanks for all replies. Please be assured, I don't intent to contribute significantly to a pattern of avoidance or knowingly engage in any illegal activity!

We may well decide to stay in Northern Cyprus next summer for three months or more, keeping our RofC vehicle stored with friends in the meantime. . We may leave TRNC during that time for a short trip to the UK or the south or the Turkish mainland (where we lived for 17 years until 2014).

We are very much enjoying our time here in the south and leave at the end of October for Thailand and then to visit family in Weatern Australia. We just feel it would be good to experience a similar long-stay in Northern Cyprus next year. So much to see; so little time!

Thanks again..

Weybridge
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

Hi All

Can I go slightly off topic and ask if you need a photocard UK driving licence to apply for a TRNC licence

Many thanks

k-w

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Long Stay Northern Cyprus

k-willoways

PM sent

Weybridge