We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

Dalian, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

Hello Travellers!

My question might be a bit silly, but while checking apartments on the seaside close or in Paphos a question came up: the fact that the sea is very close is one thing but is it permitted everywhere to go the sea? I know in some countries you have so called "banned beaches" and if going to the water you can be fined by the police.

I am mostly talking about the beaches close to the Tombs of the Kings avenue.

Thank you very much!

4 replies to this topic
cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

Not forbitten to swim but warned that on some beaches in that area there are strong currents making swimming dangerous, so warning signs are posted.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
2. Re: Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

Hi,

We stayed at the Venus Beach hotel which is very close to the Tombs of the kings some years ago now.Two tourists drowned swimming off the beach there.Don't do it.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,998 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

It is foolish to swim in areas where swimming is not advised - there are plenty of places in Paphos where you can go to swim safely

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?

As other posters say: (1) there are plenty of safe places to swim, but (2) where there are warning signs READ them and FOLLOW the advice. People who don't, die.

Reply to: Paphos - forbidden to swim in the ocean?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted