We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

This cruise co wan at permission to travel certificate and insurance for certain health conditions. Our trip is England to Scotland , then to Faroe Isles. Cruise maritime will not give any general info as to whether a certificate & insurance applies to our cruise - 36 hrs in foreign waters.

Also the description of the trip to Skara Brae made it sound like a hazardous pathway and strenuous visit. Its understandable that customers who should not undertake this visit be warned . My husband with mild limp was put off. When I asked the tourist board they were very unhappy the description . They explained it in better terms. We will take our own trip to the archaeological sites, not the cruise one.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

And your question is?

I would post this in the cruises forum or on cruise critic as it is not related to the faeroer per se.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

Do you need health iinsurance for one day in the Faroe Islands?

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

That's up to you. Do you have the financial means to be repatriated should the need arise? Can you afford surgery should you for instance (and God forbid) break an arm or a leg while on your trip?

If you can afford it I think you can do without. If you can't afford it, it's wise to take out travel insurance which covers healthcare. I know the views of some Americans against health insurance. But you will be in heaps of financial troubles should you need healthcare and you're not insured or don't have the financial means to pay for it.

I never travel without it as I know I can't afford it.

As far as I know having health insurance isn't mandatory as part of the visa conditions. But consult your nearest Danish embassy for that. If they say you don't need it than by law there is no need to have health insurance no.

Edited: 03 July 2017, 19:36
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

And I just noticed you're British so forget the American comments.

You will have insurance through the NHS and probably will have an EHIC card? That's your travel insurance. Just check the policy if medical costs abroad are covered.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

And I just noticed you're British so forget the American comments.

You will have insurance through the NHS and probably will have an EHIC card? That's your travel insurance. Just check the policy if medical costs abroad are covered.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

I'm British and am covered by NHS for all but the Faroes. I'm checking Insurance out but seems strange that less than 24hrs in a ''foreign'' port needs insurance.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

On reflection, I am cheesed off with Cruise Maritime policy. Their booklet arrives months after booking and doesn't differentiate between their various destinations. They are asking for a doctors medical fitness certificate for 2 health issues. Never asked for by others.

Months ago we travelled with another company, 12 days at sea (insurance yes, doctors certificate No).100s & 100s of miles from land or air rescue. The cruise line didn't quibble. We've been to Egypt (just post revolution) ; DR Congo and Zimbabwe. Insurance yes. No certificate needed.

My GP will be amused but probably annoyed at the extra work !!

8. Re: insuranc /healtth cert/ scotland &faroes - Cruise Maritime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2018, 06:18