We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

2 posts
Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

Hi. I’m due to go to Malta end of this month. And I’m trying to plan out my day trips etc. I want to go to restaurants at night. But how much are taxis roughly? Don’t really fancy getting the bus at night. Can someone help me please. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
STEVENAGE
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

First and foremost I am a great fan of the buses on Malta as they are cheap and reliable you can't go wrong! But cabs? Hard to say as price is relative to what you are used to paying. For me a price comparison? Well I live in Stevenage and fly from Luton I usually get the bus (£4.80) but a cab they are about £40.I stay in Qawra so from Luqa it's pre booked with Sun Transfers about £20 so HALF for the same distance roughly. However flag down cabs say for a small journey prices are more as they tend to not use a meter and prefer a prearranged price.

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

The best way to ensure you are not overcharged at any time of day is to pre-book taxis. ecabs.com.mt are reliable.You can usually book online fairly close to the pick up time you want. If that is not possible, then follow the golden rule - never get in a cab unless you have agreed a price, especially with white cabs - they do have set rates and when using then from the ranks at the airport or Valletta bus station you can pre-pay at the kiosk and get a voucher ensuring you pay the official rate. Generally, taxis in Malta are on the expensive side. As regards buses, they are safe to use at night and much cheaper.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
174 reviews
3. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

The official government taxi prices are shown here;

transport.gov.mt/land-transport/…taxis

White cab drivers are supposed to use the meter. Official Prices are the same at night as in the day (only extra Christmas Day and New Year). However, many drivers will claim 'meter broken' and so on, or try it on, refusing to take you unless it's worth their while.

Always agree a price (or proper use of the meter) before getting in/setting off.

The price should be around 1.50 per kM. A typical 'longer' trip, say Valletta to Qawra, is about 15 kM - so you are looking at about 22 to 25 euros.

The more popular resorts like Bugibba/Qawra, Sliema and St. Julians have plenty of restaraunt within walking distance so you may not need to use a cab at all. Trips back from clubs in Paceville are one of the more likely cab journeys though, if that's your thing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

All I can say is that we got the local bus and ferries everywhere as very cheap and so easy to get around Malta. They ran very late as well so no money wasted on cabs

Edited: 09 July 2018, 15:25
2 posts
5. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

Staying at the grand excelsior hotel in Valletta. Thinking that would be walking distance to most places. Now I’m not so sure. But Thankyou. I’m sure the hotel will help me aswell

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

There are plenty of restaurants in Valletta and on the Valletta Waterfront so you should not need to many taxis, especially if you are fairly fit (Valletta is quite hilly). It is a good base for exploring the island since it has the bus terminal.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
174 reviews
7. Re: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?

Nice hotel.

As said, plenty of restaraunts in Valletta, but be prepared to walk up and down hill a bit.

I recall the hotel offers a car service too.

You could also take the ferry across to Sliema for more bars and restaraunts. It runs until after midnight in summer. The ferry terminal is about 10/15 mins walk from the hotel with some steps. See these links;

https://maps.google.com?dirflg=w&saddr=Grand%20Hotel%20Excelsior%20Malta,%20Great%20Siege%20Road,%20Floriana%20FRN1810,%20Malta&ftid=0x130e4532e720622b:0x2cd91a35694872ce;0x130e452dc525210d:0xd3772014858af468&daddr=Sliema%20Ferry,%20Boat%20Street,%20Valletta,%20Malta

www.vallettaferryservices.com/schedule.pdf

Edited: 10 July 2018, 19:30
Reply to: Are taxis expensive at night in Malta?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valletta