We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in December?

Fareham, United...
3 posts
Malta in December?

Hi all,

Never been to Malta before and thinking of going for Christmas, can you tell me please what the weather is like in December and also does the whole of Malta shut down during Christmas etc,

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Malta in December?

Far from shutting down Malta is very lively over the Xmas period with the exception of Xmas day which is a lot quieter as it is a family time and the Maltese celebrate and enjoy Xmas lunch.

Buses stop running for a few hours at lunchtime for the drivers to go home and eat with family.

The days leading up to the 25th are very busy band Valletta will be packed and there may be bands and entertainment.

Boxing day is not really a holiday and is back to normal.

As for weather , who knows ??

Most Xmases that I have been there have been nice and warm mid day but cools off later.

Of course nothing weatherwise can be guaranteed !!

I find Xmas a nice time to visit.

Graham

STEVENAGE
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Malta in December?

It's grand went last year and going this! Well worth it to escape the UK borefest! Weather hit and miss to be honest but does it matter? Most places open and after the "big day" everywhere is back to normal. Get in quick though bargain city I got 19th - 29th Dec room only Relax Inn Qawra £175 (flights not included) £1 deposit Sunshine Holidays.Can grab a Christmas dinner out there many places will book you in.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 18:01
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: Malta in December?

Malta in many ways is like the UK in its approach to Christmas. Boxing Day though is not a public holiday.

Restaurants etc pump up prices for the key holidays themselves. You would need to book.

It's a populous island so rarely feels deserted!

If you pick somewhere like Sliema most places remain open and it has less of a winter tourist resort feel.

County Down, United...
Level Contributor
567 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Malta in December?

Weather hit and miss but beautiful place stayed for 2 Xmas and new year in Sea bank hotel fab place very relaxing Have booked 2 go back this year love it there.

4 posts
5. Re: Malta in December?

I assume the weather is better in the south than the north at Christmas time?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Malta in December?

Malta is such a small island that North or South makes little difference .

It is only about 17 miles from top to bottom.

Sometimes one side can be windier than the other but depends which way it is blowing.

Graham

Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Malta in December?

Can you recommend a restaurant in sliema area for Xmas day lunch/dinner. Is it advisable to book ahead. Going on the 21st Dec for a week. Thanks

Reply to: Malta in December?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta