We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices of food and drinks in Malta

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Prices of food and drinks in Malta

Hey folks, can you knowledgeable people give me an indication of prices of food and drinks in Malta?

so for example:

guide price for a beer/wine

guide price for daily essentials (milk, bread, eggs, tomatos etc)

guide price for snacks such as pizza/chips/burgers/sandwiches

guide price for eating out main meal

We are trying to decide between s/c and an all inclusive deal, and we are trying to figure out which is better value. If someone could advise that would be brilliant. Not sure what resort yet, but it won't be Valetta - possibly St Pauls Bay or Buggiba

I was in Malta many years ago before they joined EU and were using Maltese lira.

Also, how is it for getting vegetarian food? when I was last there it wasn't great - lots of pasta. Has it improved at all?

thanks folks!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

pinky-fiver allthe food items in Malta are cheaper than Ireland milk is about .44 3 bagettes about€1.62 cold meats ham etc. all much cheaper even the Kerrygold.A bottle of Rose €.49 bottle of Vodka €7.00 you can pay up to €10.00 in Scotts Supermarket for a very good bottle of wine or €15 in restaurants. Snacks again all cheaper than Ireland including the Cakes. Main meals depending on where you eat etc. a meal for 4 including wine in Peperoncino about 125.00 great food or in Portopalo in Sliema about €100 for 4 but you can have a great me in The Apple Eye up at Golden Bay for about €40 I had a great ham and cheese sandwich which includes salad and crisps €2.Bottle of Bud from €1.50 to €1.80 local beer CISK less. Pink of Guiness in the Dubliner €4.50 coffee €1.15 Beef sandwich €7.95 enough for 2. Vegetarian food no problum.Sliema or St Julians have some good apartements now so this might suit you bus fare .47 and €1.16 let me know if you need any more info.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

In general I find the price of wine and beer still cheaper than at home but eating out is now every bit as expensive and sometimes, relative to UK prices, more expensive. There is legendary multi tier pricing in some shops (a Maltese price and a tourist price) but by visiting supermarkets where the prices are clearly shown you can be more aware of the prices.

That all said it is possible to eat relatively cheaply by choosing typical tourist "specials menus" but you do have to seek the places out more than we used to pre-Euro. You will find these places easier to find in the Bugibba/Qawra/St Pauls Bay area.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

D'oh!! I forgot to take into consideration prices in Ireland (thanks Wrappido) which would make prices relatively good for you. The prices seem higher for those in the UK due to the poor exchange rate of Sterling.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

thanks guys - your replies have been really helpful. So i think a few drinks and a spot of food won't break the bank! good news.

However I am still thinking of going all inc or at least half board, mainly for the convenience and also because there is not much difference in price between B&B and h/b, and not much again between h/b and All inc.

What are your suggestions on this? All inc is so convenient but we are not inclined to spend every day at the hotel, so perhaps it would be a waste?

H/b might be better, and I know from past experiences, if you are nice to the waiters then sometimes you can arrange to swap dinner for lunch if you want to go out to eat occasionally. A pleasant disposition and a bottle of the hard stuff usually helps with this ;)

Finally, any opinions on the Buggiba Hotel or the Bella Vista hotel in Qwara?

some mixed reviews. I don't expect too much, all we want is clean rooms, clean pool, hot and tasty food, nice staff. The decor doesn't bother us as long as its clean - tired and dated isn't a deal breaker. Nor are we worried about the food not being Irish/British as a mediterranean diet is what we eat anyway (cheese, bread, olives, tomatoes for breakfast is the norm in our house!)

thanks for all the info guys - really helpful...keep it coming!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

HI there

We usually go bed and breakfast cos that suits us on holiday but we did go once half board at the dolmen hotel in qwara and found it excellent, both the hotel and food. I have reviewed the hotel on here as well. Very happy with the standard of hotel and the price was good as well.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

thank for the reply...but I think the Dolmen is a bit out of our price range for the weeks we want to go. Looks nice though.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

You could also look at the Park Hotel in Sliema has several rooms set out as apartements so you can do bedand breakfast have lunch from the supermarket and the occasional dinner 4 steaks in Scotts Supermarket for €20 so dinner for 4 cost about €9.00 each if you have it in the apartement including wine about €10

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

thanks wrappido, but ideally its a break from the kitchen we want! so we can come to the decision of either h/b or all inc. We just need to choose a hotel that is value for money now. We have a budget of about €900 tops for the hotel if its all inc, or about €600 tops for a h/b. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

plus I'm a veggie, so thanks for the tip on the steak, but we'll give that a miss! :)

Edited: 15 January 2011, 17:38
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

Have a look at Booking.Com I usually book with them they do some good deals on 5 star hotels.

10. Re: Prices of food and drinks in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 05:29