We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Brighton
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Car rental

Can anyone recommend a not too expensive car rental company in Rekyavik or the surrounding area. Thanks!

485 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
471. Re: Car rental

I'd add my recommendation to Blue Car Rental. They were fast, helpful and honest. We took a bazillion photos and videos of the rental car, but didn't need them. I'd highly recommend them!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
472. Re: Car rental

Beware of "inexpensive" choices in Iceland. We choose a car from GREEN MOTION because of the attractive price BUT WERE RIPPED OFF!!! All the 2nd line rentals are 2km from the Airport, their office very poor, terrible service, long waits. The worst part was that they REFUSED TO GIVE US THE CAR UNLESS WE PAYED FOR COLLISION AND THEFT INSURANCE WITH THE FALSE CLAIM THAT ITS COMPULSORY IN ICELAND. We had no choice at that moment since we were so far from the airport, but later verified the THOSE INSURANCES ARE NOT COMPULSORY. They refused to accept the fact that my VISA PROVIDES THAT INSURANCE. GO WITH KNOWN RENTAL COMPANIES LOCATED IN THE AIRPORT

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
473. Re: Car rental

My wife and I spent 8 days in Iceland in mid-September. We drove the entire Ring Road. We rented from Thrifty Car Rental at KEF. The rental for an AWD SUV was just over $800. Thrifty offers 3 types of upgraded insurance: super, grand, and premium. From all the horror stories I've heard about while driving in Iceland, we decided to get the "Grand" insurance -- it covered collision, windshield, rocks, etc. The deductible was 240 Euros. I felt pretty comfortable about the choice. We drove off and explored the Golden Circle. In the middle of the afternoon a dump truck was driving the opposite way on the road and as it passed our car it threw a really large rock into our windshield -- nearly smashed it out (we had glass on the dash). We drove back to Thrifty and had to exchange the vehicle (actually got a much better SUV -- new Ford Kuga). We had to pay 240 Euros for the deductible. If another incident would have happened, we would have had to pay another 240 Euros for each incident. We opted to upgrade the insurance to Premium which also covered ash and sand. There is no deductible. We decided it wasn't worth taking any more risk. We left Thrifty with confidence that we were covered for nearly everything. In hindsight, I wish we would have just bit the bullet and paid for the premium coverage. It sounded expensive at the time, but given the rock situation and deductible, we wouldn't have had to pay any deductible for the damage with the premium insurance. A new windshield in Iceland costs about $1,700. When we returned the car there were no questions asked about any scratches or dents. The car was a mess from driving on gravel roads. For a 4x4 premium insurance cost 55 Euros per day and grand insurance cost 23 Euros. Our credit card would have covered some of the stuff, but we decided, in the end, it wasn't worth the hassle and worry about insurance . . . we purchased the extra insurance. We've never purchased extra insurance when we travel international and rent a car. This situation taught us a lesson when traveling/driving in a region like Iceland.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
474. Re: Car rental

Testing

Kuala Terengganu...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
475. Re: Car rental

I can't speak for experiences but do your very best to avoid Geysir Car Rental.

I believe they own a few brands as well.

Their customer service is a nightmare to deal with.

In short, I presented a voucher for booking A but they gave me a car for booking B.

I asked for clarification and they simply said its my fault.

I repeated my query many times asking for their policy on giving wrong cars for the voucher presented and they refused to address that question and sideline to other issues despite my multiple emails.

They couldn't give an answer till now and in the end just said:

"As far as we are concerned, this case is closed"

I can forward my email thread to anyone here who would like to see for themselves if I'm making this up or if they are really just that bad.

I'll try to warn potential customers here from time to time.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
88 reviews
476. Re: Car rental

What car and insurance package did you book and what did you get?

Was it a lower car category or a limited insurance package? And if so did you pay less?

I often get a different make and model than the one I booked (it usually says "or similar"), but it has never been to my disadvantage.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
477. Re: Car rental

Reykjavik rent a car - Rented a car for 9 days. No problem at all!! On the website it was a Hyundai Tucson and in reality we got a Ford Kuga which in my opinion was a better deal then the Tucson. The car was practically as new, clean, with lots of features (not necessarily needed for what we had in mind thou). Initially we needed a full 4x4 car, but there was none available as we decided to go to Iceland on the last moment. However 4WD Kuga proved a reliable car on easier F roads. We even try it on a harder F road, but only by knowing we had the skills to do so without damaging the car in any way. Still, I would advice caution regarding the type of car you would need for F roads. For example, a 4WD will not drive itself or without consequences on harder trails if you don't have the skills and the caution not to damage the car and/or not to put yourself in danger in the process. Know your limits as driver, check road.is and vedur.is constantly, ask the locals/rangers/guides you meet about the state of the road and the opportunity to use your rented car on it, and you should be fine. Respect the rules, the "ice" people, their intimacy, nature and their culture, do not be unreasonable even if their hospitality is great (for now). They definitely know how to provide a quality service and know their value as well, and "Reykjavik rent a car" is no different. Very good price for quality cars. The process of getting the car and return it, very easy and not time consuming, if, again, you take care of the car as if you own it ( or even better for some people). No deposit, only a credit card on the name of the payer. Recommended!!

478. Re: Car rental

We rented a car from Lagoon car rental, via Northbound agency from Sep 22 to 26.

The car we took was a Land cruiser. Rental fee was fair compare to other agencies. We were picked-up at the airport to the rental agency by one of the company's employee that was kind and helpful and up to here, everything went well.

While signing the forms we were explained the different insurance policies that are available. Being an anxious person I choose the "golden package" that, I assumed, covers everything. The price of that package was equal almost a half of the whole rental deal. Nobody gave us any explanations on the vehicle nor any tips how to drive it in different conditions that we might experience during our trip. The guy simply gave us the keys and showed us the way out.

Next day we started our trip just to find out, towards noon, that the GPS (which we rented with the car) does not re-charging. We had to drive back to the agency and after checking and wasting more time, the guys there came to the conclusion that one of the fuses is not working. So, the alternative was to provide us with a Wi-Fi system that although cost more than the GPS to hire, we didn't have to pay the difference. Yet, we were driving with no electricity in the car that we could use for re-charging other equipment that we had.

2 days on the road and the car's remote control died. The land cruiser is a keyless car. For someone who is not familiar with that technology, having this trouble being out of nowhere is somehow problematic. Fortunately, I am using this technology back at home so I knew how to pull out the key from the remote, to use it manually and this was the way to use the car from that point on. Driving back again to the agency was not an option. More than the inconvenience of open and lock the car manually, there was an annoying continues alert while driving, that blinks and snooze since the car computer is looking for a signal from the remote that does not function. On the fourth day of our travel we were in a region (Krafla) where a snow storm started. While attempting to drive into a view spot, the car, although is 4x4 and equipped with winter tires, was stuck inside the snow. We called the company's head-court for a help just to find out that the "Gold package" insurance, does not cover any rescue services. Nobody didn't try to give us any tips how to make an effort and help ourselves. We wasted almost 4 hours waiting for the rescue. The guy that eventually came, was grumpy and very unpleasant, that charged us 400 Euros for a 10 minute job. However, what irritated us the most was not the expanse rather than the fact that no one from the company called us later during the day to make sure that we are safe. Remember that we were travelling at the end of the season, in a very low populated country, stuck in a snow with nearly function inside electrical system. In another situation that could be a live threatening situation. No one from the agency didn't call to make sure we are OK.

Northbound replay my mail: we are not responsible. please contact "Lagoon".

Lagoon car rental- did not replay my mail.

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,972 posts
727 reviews
479. Re: Car rental

Sorry to hear you had those problems, we do warn every visitor not to attempt to drive in weather beyond their ability and that a 4WD will not help you get out of snow and ice situations.

Obviously the rental company did not treat you fairly, but getting stuck is on you, you are lucky you were able to get help and only lost 4 hours, not a full day and not your vehicle or your health!

480. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2018, 00:06

Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted