We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Brighton
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Car rental

Can anyone recommend a not too expensive car rental company in Rekyavik or the surrounding area. Thanks!

489 replies to this topic
Iceland
Level Contributor
123 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Car rental

You could try Sadcars (www.sadcars.is). But perhaps your best bet would be shopping around with all the majors: www.hertz.is, www.avis.is, www.europcar.is, www.sixt.is and so forth.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Car rental

I've got one booked through Budget right now, which had the best rate I could find. I'll know more next week when we go- I'll update when we get back!

Severna Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Car rental

We had a very bad experience with Budget. They charged us several hundred dollars for a dent that we didn't cause. I would stay away from Budget if possible.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: Car rental

Hello,

Please think twice before renting a car from SAD Cars Iceland.

I know they are cheap, but putting your life into danger does not worth taking this risk.

We rented 2 cars (a Toyota 1.4 from '97 and a Isuzu 3.0 4x4 <97) for a couple of days. Both had really bad steering problems. Drivers were under a lot of pressure all 2.500 km we did.

At first I thought it was a coincidence, but when I saw that the 4x4 car had the same problem I realized that they're just giving junk cars for rent.

Back home if the police would do a routine check, they would arrest me and retain on the car.

Hopefully we did not meet any police.

I would have made a complaint to the authorities, since the guys at SAD Cars just ignored my complaints, but since Iceland does not seem to comply to US or EU it would have been in vain.

Sonoma, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
5. Re: Car rental

We just returned from Iceland, We used Blue car rental and had absolutely no problem with them. Cost was good, car was in great condition, Service friendly, they even dropped the car off at our rental place in suburb of Reykjavik.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Car rental

I'll second Blue Car Rental. Really good service and well maintained cars. Our windscreen was cracked by a stone flicked up by a passing vehicle and they only charged us about £70 which is far more reasonable than the big name renters. This was covered by the excess insurance we purchased in the UK before leaving, which I'd highly recommend as it saves all the worry and there are lots of gravel roads in Iceland (only cost about £10).

Jackson Heights...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Car rental

I just used Route1 (http://www.route1carrental.is/) and was very happy with them. Had them drop off and pick up at our hotel and you can even drop off at the airport if you want (added fee).

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: Car rental

We just used Procar and had no problem with them.

www.procar.is

Oslo, Norway
1 post
9. Re: Car rental

Go Car Rental is cheap.

www.gocarrental.is

UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Car rental

Hi 8James - who did you purchase your excess policy with in the UK please?

Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reykjavik