We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

I like the idea of not being rushed at each attraction along the golden circle and taking my own time... But if I were to go on the standard bus tour for the Golden circle, do you get to spend a decent amount of time to at each attraction or is it a bit rushed? And with the standard tours, do you get to stop at other small sights along the route or it's it just the main three sights along the golden circle?

8 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,738 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

The only "standard" is to go to the three sights who the Golden Circle is usually referd to, Þingvellir, Gullfoss and Geysir. There are litterally hundreds of different variations available who do just about anything from only these three to a very long and active day. You need to read through the journeyplan of each operator to see how much they plan for each location. Most depict some sort of estimated time of visiting each site.

Also, feeling rushed is a very subjective term. Some people can feel rushed after 45 minutes somewhere while others are already bored to death and can't wait to head off.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 00:40
Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

Prices are not so dissimilar, but on the hop on/off you don't have a real tour guide, but an audio with headphones. And what happens if you miss your bus? At least, with a real tour guide, they make sure they have everybody on board.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,738 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

Who is offering a hop on / hop off tour ? I wasn't aware of one. 🤓

Edited: 24 September 2018, 00:43
Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

Like this company, the HOHO tours all list what is included. https:/…

It only goes to the 3 main sites but says you can stay 11.5 hours. Another one indicated that you can go to the tomato restaurant and included a hoho in Reykjavik. Guess you need to do some research on what suits you best.

nj
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

https:/…golden-circle-hop-on-hop-off-tour

I booked it for the day we arrive. If the plane is late I have departure options.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

If there's one thing I'm so 100% unforgiving about it is when tour operators / vendors have WRONG or misleading information on their own websites.

On the Iceland Travel link posted on #4 they show pictures of Kerið in their image gallery, but Kerið Crater is NOT a stop on offer. They get on my black list for that, basically. They don't read nor look at their own web page.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
593 reviews
7. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

We had plenty of time at each spot on our Gray Line Golden Circle Express tour

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,690 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour

In my experience there are about 30-45 minutes at each stop, more if there is also a lunch break.

Tour itineraries will list the stops, some only have the main three and others add plenty of other stops in the area.

Reply to: Golden Circle hopon hopoff tour Vs standard bus tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted