We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KEF departures

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
KEF departures

I am just reading up on the airport, and how overwhelmed it is with passengers.

For a 7:35am flight to Glasgow what time do you suggest arriving at the airport? 4:35am would be excessive here in Montreal, but reading of the chaos at KEF it might be essential despite the lack of seating etc.

Hoping that late October is somewhat less chaotic than the summer, but not holding my breath as reviews from last week are pretty awful. Hopefully the airport expansion does the trick.

UK
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KEF departures

Overwhelmed and chaos aren't words I'd use about KEF!, we flew out yesterday morning and it was nigh on empty, likewise when we flew in last week.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KEF departures

Ooh now that is music to my ears. The reviews on skytrax are horrific. I am loving the words empty!!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KEF departures

Just read some of those reviews, blimey, the worst thing about the airport is the walk from the further gates (which are always the ones we land at!) to security, in the 4 times I've used the airport (admittedly out of season in October), it doesn't represent those reviews, it's empty, spacious, always somewhere to sit and not confusing at all, I wonder how some of those people would react at some of the airports I've flown out of, that are truly a nightmare!

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KEF departures

We flew out on Sunday on Icelandair. From the time we were dropped off by the bus to the gate area I am sure was less than 30 minutes. As said, the longest part was the walk to the farthest gate which was where our flight boarded.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KEF departures

Even in August this year during the peak season it was much busier than in winter, but not a problem at all.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KEF departures

Iceland Air and Wow have self check-in kiosks and automated bag drops. I checked in two bags and never talked to anyone in about 15 minutes. You literally tag the bags yourself and then scan them at the counter. Placed them on a automatic belt which weights them and it's done.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KEF departures

airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/…

Here read the reviews. It is like there are two different airports called KEF! Haha!

UK
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KEF departures

I guess it just highlights the differences in opinions, and the fact that reviews aren't that worthy a metric.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KEF departures

Makes me wonder if those people even travel.

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KEF departures

We flew KEF to Bergen, Norway at the end of August. We had an early flight on a Saturday morning. it was total chaos for check in. Mostly just from the huge number of people and flights leaving about the same time. There was no signage we could find that indicated which line to join. There were also many people with overweight luggage that were in front of the counters with multiple open suitcases moving stuff between them. Then they would weigh again, then move some more. There seemed to be a number of people with large tour groups, so maybe it was just a bad day. On our original arrival and our return two weeks later, it was pretty calm. I guess it just depends on when you're there.