We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

St. Thomasas...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

My 25 yr old daughter & I are arriving in the capitol of Iceland March 31st for 8 days and hoping to stay in Air B&Bs. We don't have an agenda yet but are wondering how hard/easy it is to get around the country that time of yr as we are not sure of renting a car with the weather. Are there buses from one town to the next to get around to different sites or for the ring road or tours? Can anyone give us insight as to what to expect. I know it is quite pricy to eat/drink out in restaurants - thought we would rent an air b&b with use of kitchen and purchase groceries at the local market.... Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

Driving will be difficult due to weather.

There is extremely limited "public transit" from one town to another, but no tourist goes to Iceland to see towns, they go to see the things in between the towns.

You'll need to book tours.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Winston-Salem. NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

Couldn't agree more! I highly recommend Gray Line Iceland for transportation into Reykjavik -- $35. or so for the round trip from Keflavik to Reykjavik, and that includes drop-off and pickup at many hotels. They also have a very good-value Golden Circle tour, which takes all day (although they have a shorter version that lops off a couple of the sites)...altogether a very stress-free and economical way to see otherworldly Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Gray Line Iceland
Gray Line Iceland
3,965 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Canada
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

The sights in Iceland are not in towns so taking a bus to a town is not practical. Take tours.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

The ring road in March is not a great idea, even for tours. There is too much uncertainty. Especially for just 8 days. I would recommend tours in the south and west.

5. Re: Travelling 1st time to Iceland March 31/17.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2017, 05:15