We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

Do not hire cars from the Sixt in Keflavik.

They will not inspect the car unless you ask them two. The cars a all beaten up with scratches and small dings, when you take it back even if you did drag the guy out to inspect the car he wont have marked all the damage and they will try to charge you 1000 euros to repair a scratches that were already there on a car that hasn't seen the inside of a repair shop in years!!!

This not only happened to me but the woman in the line ahead of me. So for my visit to return my car that was a 100% hit rate for Keflavik Sixt.

Blatant SCAM.

I have complained to the Icelandic Tourist Board and Consumer Affairs, the local police and disputed the claim with my credit card. I suggest anyone else similarly affected does the same, I can see there are quite a few people posting here who were.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

What do you mean they won´t inspect the car unless you ask them to?

Did you take photos of the car before you took the keys? Did they mark off the existing damage on a form?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

It has to be a two way thing. Was all the damage noted when you took the rental car? Did you photograph the car before you drove it away? If you didn't do these things then you leave yourself open to claims. You need to protect yourself.

You just say the car was beaten up, how does Sixt know you didn't damage the car?

If you have no evidence about damage before you took the car then it's difficult to dispute. I'm guessing you didn't take out any extra insurance. I haven't hired from Sixt but I have never had problems when hiring in Iceland. I take out extra insurances, inspect the car, have noted damage and ask about minor stone chips if I am liable. I take photos for evidence. You need to be proactive.

Do give us more details.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

Thanks for the warning. I typically take pictures of cars whenever I rent in developing countries, and I am surprised that I now have to do so in Iceland as well.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

OP – Sorry for your experience. Unfortunately, it is necessary to photo and document the car from all angles and the only “official” document that is used in disputes over damage is the sign-off form. This isn’t only necessary in “developing” countries; I have had comparable issues with rentals in Paris and San Diego. Both were solved due to me having photos of the car at the time of delivery.

I strongly suggest you contact your credit-card provider and counter the claim. Customer protection on credit-cards is a lot more effective in the USA than Europe (in general) and although it can be a lengthy process then at least it will force the rental to provide documentation justifying their claim. Since you didn’t sign for the charge you should have a strong case.

Your posts to the tourist board and police won’t do any good. The former has no authority to do anything and the police won’t enter what’s really a private dispute.

---

On a side-note: In another post you say the car was beat-up. There are so many posts here on TA from people claiming they were swindled due to damage that they possibly couldn’t have done. Yet the cars are beat up…

As a local I can share that used rental cars are often 5-15% cheaper than privately-owned cars. This is mainly due to them usually having more dents, chips, cracks… than normal. Unfortunately, it’s way too common that our guests don’t really know how to drive on gravel and the results are obvious on the cars. Damage DOES occur – but that does not justify the rentals allegedly charging for the same damage repeatedly.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
San Diego
San Diego
California
5. Re: Keflavik Sixt: Scam Warning!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2017, 05:18