We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration clearance time at KEF

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration clearance time at KEF

Hello, I am landing at KEF at 1530 in the afternoon in November. Do you think it is possible to clear immigration/collect baggage within an hour, to catch a 1630 Flybus from the airport?

Thank you.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

In November yes that is possible.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

I think is doable but just consider that if there is any delay you might miss the bus.

If you are flying Icelandair I believe I saw some ads on the plane saying that you can book while you are flying so that might be an option.

We arrive earlier in September 2016 at 6:40 am, did a washroom break and walked around the duty free shop for about 5 minutes. Headed to immigration and there was literally nobody there so it took us 1 minute to clear immigration, walked about 5-10 minutes to collect our bags. Spent some other 5 minutes in the second duty free shop (we were looking for a Siminn sim card) and collected our bags. We were in no rush so we were actually walking slowly and we were out by 7:40 am maybe earlier but I remember checking that time when we were walking for our rental car shuttle.

Not sure how will be in the evening but in the morning based on my experience if you have no delays on your arrival is definitely doable.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

First, why is the 16:30 Flybus imprtant ? Are you planing for some evening activity like a dinner or a tour ? There are buses after *all* flights, yours, the flights before and all the flights that are arriving after your flight. Getting a speciffic bus isn't important IMO unless you are making plans like I mentioned, then you are relying on more factors then just the flybus, (like, as mentioned, your flight being on time).

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

There are NOT specifically timed departure Flybuses ... they leave at regular intervals after flight arrivals, but not at specific times ...

India
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

I am just back from my trip. We travelled Oslo Kef on Iceland air and I too was worried about the immigration/baggage time etc at Kef as I had to pick up my rent a car. Was pleasantly surprised as we were out in 35 minutes.

I guess it all depends on the number of flights arriving at that time.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

Maybe I did something wrong, but I saw no immigration on my arrival. I picked up my bag and proceeded thru the 'nothing to declare' doorway and out to the terminal.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

Same here. We hit passport control just after getting off the plane. Walked to baggage claim and straight out the door through the nothing to declare lane. Very quick.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

People are confusing passport control with customs.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

Immigration (passport control) depends on where your flight originates.

If you are flying in from a Schengin country, there is no passport control. You will go thru passport control when arriving from a a non-Schengen country.

Everyone always go thru Customs, but that is just a walk thru, unless you have something to declare.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigration clearance time at KEF

That is correct. Passport Control is fast. Customs is non existence if you go to the nothing to declare door. I was amazed there was nobody checking there.

;