We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Keflavik

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Keflavik

Okay, okay, I know, not much around Keflavik compared to Reykjavik. But I got a good deal at the Base Hotel near the airport and it is prepaid so no going back now. I arrive Thu Sep 15 and leave Sun Sep 19. Here is my plan with some questions. Any recommendations or thoughts appreciated. I am a solo traveler.

Arrive off SK from OSL around 10:30. Rent car from Budget. Drive around the Keflavik peninsula, taking in stops along the way. Any food place for lunch? See maybe Viking World and the giant doll thing. I have a 18:00 entrance ticket already purchased for the Blue Lagoon. So go there for that. Stay who-knows-how-long. What time is sunset this time of year? Also, what is the cost for just a towel rental?. Then try to see northern lights (any good spots?). Forecast doesn't look that great for aurora viewing though. Drive back to hotel.

The next day, Friday, I drive from hotel to Reykjavik and drop off my car at Budget downtown Reykjavik, as I have group tours planned from Reykjavik. Budget charging me $118 for the one-way rental for ~20hrs. Anything better? Need automatic, which did drive up the price. Still seems expensive, but better than transfers from airport-hotel-airport-blue lagoon-airport-hotel-airport-Reykjavik all within 20hrs. Plus allows me to see Keflavik peninsula from 10:30-18:00.

On Fri and Sat I have full day tours planned on hold (waiting for minimum number of people to book for the tour to go ahead). One is Golden Circle Classic with whale watching at night one day and the other is South Coast Nature Highlights the other day, with Saga Tours. So, how to get back Fri night, and then there and back Sat? Looks like the hotel has a shuttle to/from KEF but it doesn't run at night and there is a cost, then there is the cost of the flybus/Grayline. So I see there are buses 55, 87, 88, and 89 that run near the airport. Any of these run close enough to the hotel (Base Hotel)? How much each way for the public bus and where exactly do they go in Reykjavik?

Anything else I am missing? Looking forward to my first visit to Iceland!

Canada
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Keflavik

Use google to search for Reykjanes peninsula (not Keflavik) and you will get lots of ideas. Whale watching at night sounds quite awful this time of year. How will you see specks of grey? Can you not keep the car for the entire trip? It will save a lot of hassle with local buses that may not even run late at night. Sounds like you may be using the flybus a lot to get back and forth.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Keflavik

Copy the Reykjanes peninsula.

They offer a whale watching tour starting at 17:00 so presumably there is something to see? Hmm...

I never thought of a car rental the whole trip as I am just taking bus tours the next two days. Looks like CAD$200 for the three days. Yes, possibly something to consider.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Keflavik

This is a no-brainer. Book the car for the entire time. It is such a joy to be on the open road and free to explore Iceland. There's a lot to see in the Southwest alone. Besides, you will *save* money when considering that you will no longer need to take day tours- cancel them and drive yourself around! September is, in my opinion, one of the best times to see Iceland with autumn colors coming out, plenty of daylight for activities during the day, but plenty of darkness at night for the northern lights. You can spend a day on Reykjanes, a day going around the Golden Circle Area with a stop in Hveragerdi, and then a day along the South Coast. Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
16,970 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Keflavik

Whale watching at night is a waste of time, find something else.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Keflavik

Okay, car rental for the whole trip it is. I am still going to join a group tour of the Golden Circle but will drive myself around the South Coast. Also, is there paragliding available anywhere around there? I heard that is a cool thing to do (maybe expensive too?).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Keflavik

Copy the comments about the whale watching for the 17:00 tour.

7. Re: Getting around Keflavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2017, 05:17