We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Afternoon in Keflavik

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
705 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
One Afternoon in Keflavik

My husband and I are going to have a one day layover in Keflavik in March. I know it's a small town, but is there a walkable area where we might find some restaurants/bars for our one night there? Any hotel recs? Thank you!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

May I strongly suggest taking the 45 minute ride into Reykjavík instead, and exploring the capital? It's a lot more interesting.

How would you get into Keflavík? By taxi? It's a lot more expensive that heading for Reykjavík.

Anyway... I don't want to alter your plans, just mention. A list of recommended hotels is found here within TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g189964-K…

Enjoy your layover!

PS: Should stay a bit longer ... :)

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
705 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

Thank you, Kiana-Rvk. We can't stay longer...trip is booked and we only have the one afternoon/evening as a layover. We fly in/out of the Keflavik airport. Is it really cheaper to cab to Reyjkavic than to Keflavik (not willing to take public transportation). We don't mind doing this if there's real value to be had, but our time is super-limited. By the time we deplane and collect our bags, it will be around 3:00 PM and we fly out at noon the next day.

Edited: 11 September 2016, 23:36
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

No... a cab into Reykjavík would cost 18,000 ISK, and a cab into Keflavík ... some 3,000 ISK or so, I guess.

Why are you not willing to take public transport? https://www.re.is/flybus/ - there's very real value to visiting at least the capital of Iceland, since you're anyway getting out of the airport.

If your layover is less than 24 hours, and you're flying both legs with Icelandair, or a carrier that is NOT low cost, you can check your luggage all the way to its final destination.

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
705 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

I don't want to take public transport...it's just me. Don't mind cabbing to Reykjavík if Keflavik has no redeeming virtues as an overnight stop ...just being mindful of our very limited time. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

Oh, ok. Well, I won't say that Keflavík isn't worth a visit... it's just that you miss out on a lot.

Anyway - here're some compelling reasons: www.visitreykjavik.is/travel/winter-reykjavik

Edited: 12 September 2016, 00:02
La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

I wouldn't call Flybus "public transportation" in the way that Americans use the term. It's more like a shuttle, on a large tour bus.

Don't know if that makes a difference.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

Take a taxi to Keflavik, walk around the small town, have dinner, go to bed and go back to the airport. You seem to have your mind made up about this so just go with it. You will likely not see much after dark anyway. Even Hallgrímskirkja closes at 5 pm in March

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

I was left wanting in the Reykjanes peninsula.

9. Re: One Afternoon in Keflavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2017, 06:19