We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akureyi

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Akureyi

We have been to the other end of Iceland a couple of times and love the country. We would love to visit again but feel a trip to the other parts might be good. Is there a best time to visit? What could we expect to see? Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Akureyi

I would go from May to early Sept. Winter might prove difficult, Lots to see and do. Use google and you get to websites like this https://www.northiceland.is/.

A good guide book will give you lots of ideas.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Akureyi

There's a UK company called SuperBreak that's doing what the Icelandic tourist industry should have thought about quite a while ago.

For their brilliant approach, and because I know that they're reliable (we've heard from them in the news last year), I am going to recommend them. And that's a brick & mortar agency, the classic fashion, NOT one of those crazy marketplaces online.

https:/…

Just see if they have some dates that are suitable for you, so you can go and explore North Iceland as well.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 19:55
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,393 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Akureyi

There's a lot of gorgeous stuff in northern Iceland. I'd start by checking out the Tröllaskagi peninsula (don't miss the Hofsos pool!). Perhaps a day trip or even overnight to Grimsey Island where the Arctic Circle passes through! Then there's the Myvatn area which has lots to see. Could fill up a whole week or more with those places!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Akureyi

We found Akureyri to be a really nice town. We didn't have an overnight there and would have enjoyed one. There's a very pretty harbor and the downtown is nice to walk around. Make sure to stay a night or two in the Myvatn area (very near Akureyri) - there's a ton to do although it was more crowded than most of the areas we visited. The Myvatn nature baths are not to be missed - absolutely one of my best travel experiences ever. There are some really nice geothermal areas to roam around and Dimmuborgir is well, well worth a visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Akureyi

If you are planning to visit the Myvatn area, I would recommend September. The midges in the summer can be unbearable.

Reply to: Akureyi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akureyri