We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Hello

I’m travelling solo for a week from ivy 7th Til 14th. And my idea was to rent a camper (a kangoo or something similar) and drive around.

I’m not planning to do the whole island but the south coast and something in the west peninsula.

Any suggestions and tips will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mariano

Best Seller
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls...
573 Reviews
from US$99.90*
Best Seller
Golden Circle Classic Day Trip from...
2,230 Reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Northern Lights Night Tour from...
1,019 Reviews
from US$52.70*
16 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Just out of curiosity, how popular are campers in mid- or northern Norway in wintertime ?

Also, would you bw willing to be in a camper during a storm like the one you guys had on thursday / friday ? Possibly also with snow instead of rain ?

Edited: 24 September 2018, 00:58
Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,407 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

You're not a troll or something like that, are you .... Mariano... in Norway...?

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

I also wrote a little bit about campers in winter here, it's near the end of the post: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18995…

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,470 posts
693 reviews
4. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Bad idea and you know it.

Iceland doesn't get many trolls, more elves, really

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
5. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Hello

It looks that the post it’s gone :(

Oslo, Norway
1 post
6. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Hehehe,

No, I'm not a troll. :)

I travel alone and my main goal is to take photos and videos.

The idea of the camper was mainly to have the autonomy to come and go as more convenient.

But haven't book any yet. I still thinking in booking airbnb to sleep, but my concern was if one night I want to stay late to take some footage or timelapse don't hustle and be able to spend a night out, but I read that most of the camping sites will be closed and it's not allowed to park anywhere to spend the nigh, that is why I ask for advice.

Also I haven't set up a itinerary yet, so having in mind my time, the weather and the resources if you think there are some must places to shoot and any other tip, will be super helpuful.

The storm we had here last thursday was pretty mild to be honest, even when Sandy hit NY (we were living there by the time) wasn't that much, but then again, I rather be precocious than regretful.

Same go for places to spend the nigh and anything you think will be in any help.

Plus a tattoo shop with good artist will be awesome

THanks again

M

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
7. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Sorry I sign up with a different account :)

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,700 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

If you are an expert winter driver and willing to monitor conditions and the forecast continuously and change or cancel your plans at any time if necessary, then renting a mid-size car and booking guesthouses or airbnb would probably be the best option. Be aware that winter weather can mean you may lose money on bookings already made if you cannot get there due to a storm warning or closed road.

Vedur.is, road.is and safetravel.is should be websites you check every morning before finalizing your plans for the day. Pay special attention to weather warnings, wind speeds and icy roads. While driving pay attention to the digital road signs with the weather for the mountain passes.

With six full days and weather permitting I would probably explore the Golden Circle (1 day), the South Coast until Jökulsárlón and back (2-3 days) and the Snæfellsnes Peninsula (2 days) plus maybe Reykjanes (0.5-1 day).

I would book accommodation asap, because in some areas that could be difficult at short notice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,470 posts
693 reviews
9. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Rikki's post is not gone and you are either a troll or honestly have done zero research into your plan

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
10. Re: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th

Hello

Thanks for all the tips, really helpful.

I'm not a troll, today is my bday and my wife surprised me with a ticket to Iceland last night, so no, I have not made any plans yet, that is what I am trying to figure out now :)

I am use to drive here in norway, even though I think will be quite a difference, mainly for the strong wind. If the weather is similar to here I hope not to find really deep winter weather, but I will keep an eye to those websites you mention to be sure.

About the link, of Rikki, it says server not found, I hope it's not just me.

Sorry to bother you trying to find a way to enjoy a bit my bday gift Northern_Taveller00., feel free to not comment if don't feel like.

Thanks again for all the tips guys

M

Reply to: Travel alone oct 7-oct 14th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted