We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

Hello! My husband, 3 year old daughter and myself will be flying into KEF airport on December 31st this year, staying for one night in the city center of Reykjavik, then going to the blue lagoon on the 1st of January early morning for a few hours before heading back to the KEF airport to catch our evening flight back home. My question is, do we take the bus from the airport to the hotel on the 31st? And then pay for a shuttle to take us from our hotel (the next morning) to the blue lagoon and then to the airport? Our flight gets into KEF on the 31st at 3:40pm. So I'm not sure if we will still have some daylight left at that point or if it will already be dark? If it will still be light out, would it be easier/quicker to just rent a car for $110 total and be on our own schedule (which would be helpful having a 3 year old in tow)? Or do we just pay for a bus to our hotel (not sure of the exact cost) in addition to the shuttle from our hotel-> blue lagoon -> KEF airport which was around $150 total. I feel like it may be cheaper to get the car rental. I'm just not sure of the driving conditions on the roads this time of year or if driving in the dark will be okay. Any advice/tips are appreciated. :) Thanks!

Jenn

Best Seller
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls...
573 Reviews
from US$99.90*
Best Seller
Golden Circle Classic Day Trip from...
2,219 Reviews
from US$64.70*
Best Seller
Golden Circle, Kerid Volcanic Crater...
259 Reviews
from US$153.00*
4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,031 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

Forget the idea of a car. it will be twilight and almost dark when you land and by the time you get your car it may be very dark, Do you really want to drive on strange roads, in the dark and maybe in bad weather with a child in the car? Safety of all should be your number one concern not costs. Check out the Blue Lagoon or Reykjavik Excursions for shuttle info. You should be booking your admission time now. Holiday times sell out quickly,

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

It is the darkest time of year in the far north, with about five hours of daylight total in the middle of the day. So yes, you would probably be doing almost all your driving in the dark. As well, winter weather in Icelamd can be stormy and very windy, and the road between the airport and the city is unsheltered and open. For your own safety and peace of mind, don’t drive in these conditions.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

Thank you both for your response! I will take your advice and we will go with the shuttles. I did not realize the weather could potentially be that bad during that time of year. We hadn't done much research on Reykjavik until now since the majority of our trip is going to be in the UK and France, with only one night in Iceland. Now I am learning that we won't have much daylight and that the roads can get pretty nasty. Definitely not a risk I want to take by renting a car. Thanks again to you both - it's much appreciated!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?

Good for you! It’s a beautiful place to see. Enjoy the BL, it’s amazing to be bathing outdoors in winter in water that keeps you warm! In Reykjavik, do step outside and look at the sky if the weather is clear in the dark night. You could see the Northern Lights, even in the city.

Have a great trip!

Reply to: Renting a car in Reykjavik for a one night stopover?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted