We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

This is a 9 day itinerary as the 10th day will be an early flight home.

There is potential to fly home a day later if this will help.

We will be staying in Guesthouses/hotels. I have tried to space the driving out as evenly as possible, I know there are a couple of stretches that are 3+ hours driving.

One thing I am worried about is I think I may be rushing the sights in the south, please let me know if you think they are do-able in a day.

Day 1 - Land at Keflavik airport 10am and get hire car.

Go to Bonus stock up on food and water.

Drive to Pingvellir National Park - spend a couple of hours walking/exploring.

Stay in Selfoss area. Explore and have dinner/early night.

Day 2 - Golden circle - stay in Hvolsvollur

Day 3 - South coast sights - stay 15mins from Jokulsarlon

Day 4 - Explore Jokulsarlon - potential boat trip on the lagoon. Drive through East Fjords and stay in Egilsstadir - go to Bonus

Day 5 - Drive to Myvatn area and explore. Stay near Husavik.

Day 6 - Whale watching trip Husavik, explore more of Myvatn then drive to Akreyui. Explore and stay in Akreyui

Day 7 - Driving day, Akreyui to Borganes and stay in Borganes

Day 8 - Explore Snæfellsnes Penninsula. Potentially stay in Snæfellsnes Penninsula or another night in Borganes

Day 9 - Drive to Reykjavik and explore. Stay close to the airport.

Day 10 - Get to the airport for 9am to drive home.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 21:03
19 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

That's as close to a "typical" 9 day Ring Road schedule as you could put together. Should work great

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
147 reviews
2. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Don't bother buying water at Bonus or anywhere else. The water in Iceland is very safe and very good tasting. Bring water bottles and fill up at the tap. Buying bottled water is a huge waste of money in an already expensive country.

Pingvellir National Park is part of the Golden Circle. What other sights on the Golden Circle do you wish to see? Seems to me it would be easiest to just finish them on arrival day so that you can move on and not have to return to the area from Selfoss. That would open up more time for those rushed south coast stops because the stuff between the Golden Circle and Jokulsarlon is really best seen in two days, especially if you want to spend any time in Skaftafell National Park, which you should.

On day 7, consider driving the extra hour to Stykkishólmur. We did it this past June and it was worth it to end the day on the peninsula so that we'd have more time to explore it the next day. Not only that but Stykkishólmur is gorgeous and worth checking out.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
3. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Might be too much on Day 1. You'll already be tired after the flight, and you're looking at a few hrs of driving there + sightseeing.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Good plan. My only suggestions would be to spend Night #8 on the snaefellsnes peninsula rather than another night in Borganes. We stayed in Arnarstapi and Grundarfjordur and both were excellent choices for an overnight. Arnarstapi is tiny and quiet and beautiful. Grundarfjordur has some really nice restaurants and is right by one of the most recognizable sights in Iceland - Kirkjufell. Last thing, I would stay in Seydisfjordur rather than Egillstadir. We had an overnight in both places and Seydisfjordur would be where I stayed if I had to pick one. In fact, it was probably our favorite overnight of the whole two week trip. Enjoy!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

I’m confused about the last morning, maybe a typo, drive home??? You need to be at the airport three hours before your flight is scheduled to leave. In addition, it can take up to an hour to turn the car in beforehand. If this means you actually need to arrive in the vicinity of the airport by 8 a.m., I’d be tempted to stay in the city for the last night. There are not nearly as many choices of food and accommmodations near the airport, and it is only a 45 min. drive from Reykjavik to the airport.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Yes the last day should be flight home not drive home! The night before flying home I have booked a hotel 5 minutes from the airport (with free cancellation at the moment).

The flight is at 11am, I thought I only needed to be there 2 hours before the flight. 9am is when I would like to be inside the airport at bag drop so we would be dropping the car off earlier than this, thanks for the heads up on waiting time.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
147 reviews
8. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

Foodlover - the OP is only traveling from the UK so the day is not that long really. I mean, it's long but not overly so. Certainly beats trying to do the entire south coast as far as Jokulsarlon in one day. To me, that is longer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

OP, arto, three hours beforehand is very conservative, and you’d probably make it okay with a bit less time, but that airport is really crammed these days because of Iceland’s popularity. Similarly turning the car in may go faster, but maybe not....

The airport is located on the Reykjanes Peninsula, which is very beautiful and unique. If you stay in a hotel near the airport, be sure to allow some time on the evening of Day 8 to have a good look at the peninsula.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
10. Re: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019

MooreUSA - you're right. My mistake. Ignore my message above.

Reply to: Please critique 9 day itinerary for May 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted