We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

Hello All - I will be traveling to Iceland end of March 2017 with my mother for her 60th birthday. Very special trip. We arrive in Iceland at 615am on Friday morning after a 6 hour overnight flight from NY. We will be departing 830am on Monday the 3rd of April. That gives us 3 full days to experience Iceland. I would like to do a Northern lights tour, the Golden Circle Tour, and visit the Blue Lagoon while in Iceland unless you have other suggestions worth looking into. Trying to determine my best course of action given the overnight flight and the potential for jet lag. Original thought was an afternoon at the Blue Lagoon on our day or arrival to relax a bit and settle in. Saturday explore the city during the day and a Northern Lights tour in the evening. Sunday - do the Golden Circle tour. Again - this is just my initial thoughts for a plan but I have come to the forum to get suggestions and help with my itinerary from those of you that may be able to help. I want this to be a special trip for my mom and I (34 yrs old) so it's important that I make the right choices and get the best tours. Thank you in advance.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,368 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

I usually suggest a 2 day tour to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, because it includes lots of sights on the way plus a glacier hike, so maximizes the things to do and see in a short time. I am not sure if you have already booked accomodation in Reykjavík and if a glacier hike would be feasible for your mom? Otherwise a South Coast day tour will show you the South Coast waterfalls, black sand beach etc. as well.

Another amazing adventure would be a superjeep day tour to Þórsmörk.

I would second doing the Blue Lagoon on your arrival day, since it's close to the airport and might be a relaxing start to your visit after a long flight, but you will have to pre-book to get in.

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

Good Afternoon All - Still counting on your help from those who have been and those that currently reside in order to make this trip memorable for my mother on her 60th birthday. Arrival is March 31st at 615am after an overnight flight from New York. We will have 3 full days to cram in everything we can. The purpose of the trip is to see the Northern Lights (fingers crossed) so is it best to start with a Northern Lights trip same day we arrive? Can anyone suggest a company to use - we want small and intimate in hopes of seeing this phenomenon. I'd also like to visit the Blue Lagoon and maybe do a south coast day trip or the Golden circle tour. I need your help so that I can make this a great mother/daughter trip for a big birthday celebration. Thank you in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

You can book NL the first day. Tons of options from private tours in a Super Jeep to big bus tours.

You can click the Things to Do menu option on the top of the page to get tons of recommendations.

Blue Lagoon must be booked well in advance if you want to go. It's close to the airport so you should go upon arrival or on your way to the airport on your last day.

4. Re: Quick Trip for Special Event - Need Help w Itinerary & Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2017, 05:15