We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short transit in terminal 2

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
Short transit in terminal 2
Save

I will only be having 1 hour 20 minutes on transit between my flights in Vantaa Airport and I'm hoping to have a meal in between. Is there anything to eat/takeaway for my next flight which takes up to 4 hours ? (trying to avoid buying meals on the flight which is usually expensive and doesnt taste good). I will reach Vantaa very early at about 6.30am!

7 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

We would be able to give you better answers if you would give away from where to where you're flying.

You can see opening hours here https://www.finavia.fi/en/myfinavia/shop/service-types/food-drink

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
301 posts
183 reviews
167 helpful votes
2. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

Yes, there are plenty of options. T2 is divided into Schengen and non-Schengen areas and my feeling is that there are more/better options on the non-Schengen side (haven't tasted the food myself, I don't eat at the restaurants in the Helsinki airport).

There is also a 24 h grocery store just outside the baggage claim 2B (it's also only a short walk from baggage claim 2A). It would be the cheapest option if you can enter the Schengen area. Plan for a waiting time of up to 15 minutes in the security for getting back to airside.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
94 reviews
81 helpful votes
3. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

There are plenty of (rather expensive) options in T2 to eat. As said if you are in non-Schegen zone eat there. At around 6:30 am I guess the meal options are mainly breakfast oriented.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

I will be travelling from Singapore to Iceland, transit in Vantaa Airport. Is it considered Schengen Zone?

One more ques, on my way back, i have 8 hours of transit in Vantaa, will I be able to exit the airport?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
10,513 posts
70 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

With airport prices being what they are, you won't save much by eating there instead of on the plane, but at least you'll have more choice.

If your passport is for a country requiring a Schengen visa (you haven't told us your nationality), you will need this for Iceland. The Schengen visa is also valid for Finland, so yes, you will be able to leave the airport and have a look around. Eight hours will enable you to see quite a lot as Helsinki is compact.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
94 reviews
81 helpful votes
6. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

Flight from SIN arrives in non-Schengen zone. So eat before going thru immigration. Once thru the imigration you'll be in Schengen zone and your departure gate will be within a few mins walk.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
82 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Short transit in terminal 2
Save

The cheapest option to eat at the airport is probably Burger King. There's one on both the Schengen and non-Schengen zones (and also on the landside).

The best value for money you'll probably get in the Cesar's Little Italy restaurant (they have really good breakfast and lunch buffet) but that is located on the landside: https://www.sspfinland.fi/en/restaurants-cafes-lounges/terminal-2/restaurants/cesars-pizza-and-food-court/

The best restaurant of the airport (Fly Inn) is in the Schengen gate area, but it has surprisingly limited opening hours considering where it is located (at an airport's gate area): https://www.sspfinland.fi/en/restaurants-cafes-lounges/terminal-2/restaurants/fly-inn-restaurant-and-deli/

Contrary to the earlier posters, I think there are more eateries on the Schengen gate area than in the non- Schengen side, but the restaurants are somewhat different. According to Finavia's website https://www.finavia.fi/en/myfinavia/shop/service-types/food-drink there are 16 cafes and restaurants in the Schengen gate area and 6 in the non-Schengen area. In the Schengen gate area most of the restaurants are on the 3rd floor, i.e. they are not along the walking path between the gates

Reply to: Short transit in terminal 2
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Finland
More Southern Finland Topics
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.