We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salla visit

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
Salla visit

Hi! We are going to Salla on October 18-25. I have a few questions. How expensive are the food? What are tours/places that we must see? I don’t ski, not planning to ride a snow mobile as budget is very limited. But I am primarily going there to hopefully see the Northern Lights. What’s the weather like in October? I read on one website it’s the worst for seeing the NL? Thanks for any tips! Did you guys see the NL? Did you book a tour to see the NL or just hunted yourselves?

9 replies to this topic
Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
320 posts
13 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Salla visit

Food and restaurant prices should be similar to the rest of Finland. Resort prices might be a few euros higher. Some of the restaurants have their menus online, you can find them via the following website: http://visitsalla.fi/en/

You can find activities on the same website, but as October is off-season, the availability might be limited. There might be snow, but probably not enough for many snow activities. In that case, summer activities like hiking should be doable.

The weather averages around zero degrees centigrade. Could be a couple of plus degrees, or a couple of minus degrees. The Finnish meteorological institute claims that October is one of the best months to see aurora, but it depends on the weather. On cloudy nights you're out of luck.

Sorry I don't really have a lot of personal experience with Salla. I did enjoy my visit to the Reindeer Park, but in October it's open only by appointment.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
2. Re: Salla visit

Oh, I didn’t know about the park closure. That is a bummer. I’ve been looking at a website that predicted the whole month weather of October, and seeing the NL is not looking promising at all. I guess we’ll just have to somehow find things to do at night. Thanks for your input, I’ll def visit this website you sent. I just hope it doesn’t rain the entire time we are there.

Edited: 4 years ago
3 posts
3. Re: Salla visit

Please can someone advise what transport is available, not sure if I would benefit hiring a car next week. Thank you

Lappila, Finland
Level Contributor
172 posts
4. Re: Salla visit

@Lynda: There are buses from Rovaniemi (at least), see: https://www.matkahuolto.fi/ choose 'EN' at the top of the page for English)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: Salla visit

When we were there in October last year, we rented a car. And I advise it greatly. Not sure what you’re there to do or see, we stayed at Holiday Club Kelorinne. Your own car would be very beneficial as these establishments aren’t close to each other. And at night we would venture out on our own to find the NL. It was also convenient to go to the supermarket and other attractions.

But then again, I never researched the bus lines in Salla so I don’t know just how accessible they are and how late they ran.

3 posts
6. Re: Salla visit

Thank you so for your advice.

3 posts
7. Re: Salla visit

Thank you.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
91 reviews
52 helpful votes
8. Re: Salla visit

Public local transport is next to non-existing in Salla, so a rental car is almost a must have there unless you're ready to use and spend money on taxis.

9. Re: Salla visit

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Salla visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salla
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.