We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer in Inari- Things to do?

Fremont, California
5 posts
Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Hi All, We will be in Finand Lapland area in August (2 adults and 2 kids: 8, 6). I am looking for suggestions on what activities we can do. Here is what I have planned so far:

1. August 13: Fly to Rovianni - - Stay in Rov, visit santa village

2 August 14 - 16 drive to Saariselkä - Stay for 2 nights (plan for Urho Kekkonen National park, what else do you recommend?)

4.August 16-18 Drive to Inari Stay for 2 nights (plan to go to Lemmenjoenki park, what else do you recommend? Is driving to Bugøynes from inari worth it it will be an all day trip with kids)

5. August 18 drive have to Rov, stay in Rov

6. Fly to Helsinki

6 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

I went to Inari last late July because of my interest in Sami culture. The museum is small and the cultural center and Parliament next door. 2 nights sounds right. I was a solo traveller and used a tour to hike in the Midnight Sun- spectacular, at 2 a.m! Be prepared for serious mosquitoes. There is another interesting hike to the Wilderness Church, and a boat tour on Lake Inari out to the island.

Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
292 posts
13 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Make a stop at Karhunpesäkivi between Saariselkä and Inari. It's a short hike from a rest stop.

There's a nice viewpoint if you continue following the stairs after you go past the rock.

https://www.inarisaariselka.fi/en/attractions/karhunpesakivi-rock/

Fremont, California
5 posts
3. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Thank you! will check those out. We will look into hikes.

Fremont, California
5 posts
4. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Sounds good! Thank you! We will add that to the list when we drive towards Inari

Fremont, California
5 posts
5. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Also what would you suggest as a day trip from Inari: Bugøynes or Kirkenes, Norway?

Seattle
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Save

Travel is always subjective, then add kids! It was challenging to find information much outside Helsinki from the US, the Lonely Planet book had a section for the far north with suggested driving itineraries and possible stops of interest. Summer, even harder, most queries and reviews are for winter and the Northern Lights. TA was my primary resource, if you look at the tours and attractions available to see if they match your own family's interesrs. I was thrilled in Inari with the small group of reindeer- saw them on the playground, in parking lots, walking down the street...I used a shuttle from Kirkenes, it was going on 3 hours, so it's far. The Russian border isn't very imposing there, but maybe of interest to your family.

Reply to: Summer in Inari- Things to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inari
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.