We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

From reading many topics in Lapland forum, I decide to go to Lapland in May 2013 to see Northern light.

Which is the best places or location to see by not join tour? I've 3-4 nights to wait for my luck to see the lights.

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

think you're better off going in winter as there is too much daylight in summer. I'm no expert, just from what I've read on here

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

If the aurorae are your only reason to visit Lapland, reschedule. In May there is not much night at all and aurorae cannot be seen in daylight. Furthermore there is no longer much snow around (depending on the year and location in Lapland of course).

Lapland is at it'sbest in the Winter, do come in March, not too cold, but still full Winter. Theoretically the further North the better are your chances for aurorae.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

It can't be done in May. At the end of the month there is no night at all in northern Lapland, where your chances of a sighting are best (in good conditions).

Even in the middle of winter, you would be lucky to see the aurora on such a short trip.

How about a trip to see the midnight sun instead? This is far easier to arrange as all you need is a cloudless sky, and the temperature is not as challenging for someone from a tropical country.

Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Thank you for all of your advices. I just see my topic is not correct about 2012 cause I mean 2013!

Anyway, maybe I have to change to March instead but which is the best locatiom for the aurora by not join any tour?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Saariselkä (Ivalo) has good connections and is just about as far North as you can fly in Finland.

Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Thank you again Polarbearfin for your help. i will replan and schedule as your advices.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
914 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

I would have to say that if you change to Iceland you can see the lights maybe if you are lucky and you stay in a hotel that is isolated. That would also work in Finland, but I dont know that as well as to hotels with no lights.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Iceland? That 's way more to the South than Lapland. If you consider other locations, you should look at Svalbard.

Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

Thank you "Springqueen" for your advice. My friends have been in Iceland for Aurora in Feb 2012 and they're lucky to see once there. But one thing that I know is about how cold they are! So in my idea I would like to go to Finland but change to March.

10. Re: Which is the best places to see Northern Light in May 2012?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 10:17