We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre

Shefford, United...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
168 reviews
108 helpful votes
best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre
Save

Hi,

am thinking of driving as car hire I can get with BA avios, less avios from Helsinki, more from Oulu and Kajaani. I also land at 12.20pm in Helsinki and flights are much later. Ideally I would like to stop somewhere overnight...perhaps somewhere with good wildllife to photograph. I don't have to be at the centre until the following day...afternoon time. I have looked at maps but am struggling to see the best route/roads, and places to stop.

Many thanks

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre
Save

To Kajaani you drive from Helsinki via road no 5 (via Mikkeli & Kuopio, about 6 hours + breaks).

To Oulu you drive from Helsinki via road no 4 (via Jyväskylä, maybe 7 hours + breaks).

Train is more recommended option - there isn't much wild life to see on the sides of those higways:-). You may then rent our car then in Kajaani or Oulu.

If you go by car, there are good places (gas stations with restaurants) to stop about every 30-40 km, but less often close to Kajaani. E.g. most ABC stations are open 24 h.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
2. Re: best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre
Save

If you still think opting for a car, and as you are in no hurry getting to Suomussalmi, I would choose my route through the lake district.

Main roads 4 (E75) and 5 (E63) are extremely boring, and don't offer much. Skip those much as you can. Instead collect many of those smaller back roads that follow closer to lake shores, and through the countryside. Undulating, very nice to drive gravel roads in typical Finnish scenery. That's where rally drivers are born... :) And that's where our summer cottages are hid.

You were coming in July? Gravel roads should be in good condition then. Just get a good road map (GT Tiekartta for example). It's pretty easy to navigate through smaller roads as all roads are numbered, and numbers are marked on the maps and road sides - often at junctions. On a good road map you should also find some cheap lodging options.

For spotting some "meaningful national landscapes" on the way, check this page:

http://www.outdoors.fi/destinations/historyandculture/nationallandscapes/Pages/Default.aspx

Shefford, United...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
168 reviews
108 helpful votes
3. Re: best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre
Save

Many thanks. I have a car booked in oulu and a hotel for a night. The train times arent great. The flights are only good times if I pay double but I think the drive might be too much for me.

I drive from oulu the next morning. I will be taking in the scenery, stopping for photos and looking out for birds and other wildlife

Shefford, United...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
168 reviews
108 helpful votes
4. Re: best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre
Save

Just thought I would let you know....my SATNAV only showed one place...there were 2 by the same name but these didn't show until I felt I was going in the wrong direction...drove for 9 hours!!! Great drive though! VERY stressful but got to martinselkonen..a little late but they kindly walked me through the forest late!

5. Re: best driving route from helsinki to martinselkonen centre

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Kuopio
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.