We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
18 reviews
Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

Hi All

I am visiting Gothenburg with my 13 year old daughter in December for a weekend (arriving late Friday night and leaving Sunday night), and have been looking at options for public transport.

As I understand, I can purchase a 3 day for Gothenburg area ticket for 180 SEK and up to 3 people under the age of 20 can travel with me at no extra cost, so in this case I would NOT need to buy an extra ticket for my daughter, can anyone confirm if I have understood this correctly?

I also understand that I can purchase this ticket using my mobile phone.

We also land on the Friday at 21:40, and I see that connection to the city via public transport is via the Flygbussarna, does this bus run late into the evening?

Many Thanks

Cliff

6 replies to this topic
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
868 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

The Flygbussarna runs that late.

If you buy a 1 to 3 day/s ticket from Västtrafik for Gothenburg, you can take up to three persons <20 yrs old.

If I recall correctly this also applies to one fare 90 minutes ticket as well (I almost never use public transportation myself).

EK

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
366 reviews
2. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

Yes no extra ticket needed but you have to buy it at a Pressbyrån, Västtrafik outlet or 7-11 because you need a credit card issued in Scandinaviafor the mobile pay option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

Thank you for your advice. I was debating whether to actually hire a car, but seems public transport is very reasonable especially considering that I would not have to pay for my daughter.

I trust we can fill our time well with 2 full days in Gothenburg?

I am looking forward to seeing the Xmas feel of Liseberg, and being 13 years old I am sure my daughter will enjoy it there :-)

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

There is no need to hire a car, public transport in Gothenburg is excellent in general. And a lot cheaper than a rental car. And you won't have to bother with parking fees and congestion tax.

You won't have any problems finding things to do for 2 days in Gothenburg.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
868 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

As long as you stay in the central parts of the city, then yes, public transportation is excellent and no car is needed (I would actually recommend against a car in the city center due to constructions and a unfriendly approach towards car in the central part of the Gothenburg).

Btw, I prefer the TFL's approach that allow one can use a contacless debit/credit card directly at the turnstiles to the Tube and still get the sam rate and daily/weekly caps as using an Oystercard.

EK

Edited: 16 November 2017, 14:42
Molndal
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg

Since you are going to Liseberg etc you may consider buying a Göteborg City Card which gives you both public transport and entrance to a lot of places. This card can be bought at the airport.

Reply to: Tickets for Travelling in Gothenburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg
Recent Conversations