We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Will be in Stockholm for one day in August aboard cruise ship Amsterdam. I believe we will dock at Statesgarden. How far is it to the ferry that takes you from Slussen to the Vasa Museum? We plan to do the museum, come back to see the changing of the guards, and then have time to enjoy "old town". Any advice would be appreciated.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

According to one of the cruise ship sites it is about a mile from Stadsgarden to Gamla Stan (Old Town). The Slusen ferry docks at the southern end of Old Town, the end closest to the port. Sounds like you have a nice day planned.

Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

the brochure has a perfect map in the last page; very well detailed and will show you everything

stockholmtown.com/templates/BrochureListing_…

pilotohielo
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

How do you know where the ship will dock? Which day will you be in Stockholm? I may be on the same ship.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
269 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Statsgarden is a pretty long dock. It depends how many cruise ships are in Stockholm that particular day.

The berths nearest the Old Town are occupied by the ferries that go to Finland. Still, you shouldn't be more than about a kilometre from the ferry that goes to the Vasa museum so it is only about 20 minutes walk or so along Stadgarden to Slussen.

That is assuming you dock at Stadsgarden.

Regards

Chris

Stockholm

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
5. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

We also will be docking at Stadsgarden August 2 on the Star Princess.

I understand you can walk to Old Town.

What is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum from the ship?

Exursion is approx 80 dollars times 4 people and it is Waitlisted anyway.

Thanks for any info from someone that has done this.

D

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Stadsgården to Slussen is about 5 minutes if you don't have lots of luggage, 10 if you're not much of a walker or want to take it easy. Without knowing when you dock and when you leave it's hard to know how realistic your plan is, but you can always cut out the changing of the guards if you're pushed for time. Guided tours of the Vasa Museum are available on the hour from 9.30 am, so you should manage to squeeze one in.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Actually, I just realised that a previous post in this thread brought up a very pertinent point: Stadsgården stretches along the waterfront and you could be a bit further away. But on this forum you can also find information about bus services from Stadsgården. So do a search here and you'll find plenty of previous posts about travelling from cruise ship docks. This has to be one of the most frequent questions on the Stockholm forum!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

Many guesses here...

According to the port authorities website no ship with the name Amsterdam will arrive Stockholm in August. There is a ship named Rotterdam arriving Frihamnen and a ship named Prinsendam arriving Stadsgarden. One single arrival is with a ship named Veendam, also Stadsgarden.

I guess your ship is Prinsendam or Veendam and it arrives Stadsgarden 167, which is in walking distance of eg. Gamla stan, the very centre of Stockholm. You could almost not be more lucky.

Check yourself on the site:

www.stockholmshamn.se/evant.htm

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

After reading cmf99's post I want to make some comments. I live that close to this area and know this business, so I can give some more precise fact, I humbly think.

I also want to point that Cruise agencies have an interest to sell excursions, and after browsing the cruise lines I find the information about docking places either misleading or non present at all.

The docking place for cruise ships is not depending on the actual day or depending on a day-to-day situation. The places are booked and payed for by the cruise lines months and years ahead. Information for cruise ships is to be found on the website of Stockholm Port Authority, updated every 30 min:

www.stockholmshamn.se/evant.htm

Other ships (else than cruise ships) is found on the main site: www.stockholmshamn.se

On the last one it is also possible to browse the ships docking at Nynashamn, about one hour South of Stockholm.

The nearest berths to Gamla stan (Old Town) are not always occupied by Finland ferries. Sometimes cruise ships dock here. Sometimes cruise ships even dock at Skeppsbron, which is on the edge of Gamla stan. On the other hand, one of the Finland ferry companies, Viking Line, has its terminal on the most far away place from Gamla stan.

The city ferries or Djurgarden ferries are two (major) routes.

a) One between the southern part of Gamla stan near Slussen and Stadsgarden and the tivoli Grona Lund. Grona Lund is 400-500 meters from the Vasa Museum.

www.waxholmsbolaget.com/show.asp…

b) The other between Nybroplan (near modern city center) and just outside the Vasa Museum.

stockholmsightseeing.com/EN/STOCKHOLM/boat-t…

On top of this two routes, there are hundreds of other ones, on Lake Malaren West of the town and in the archipelago East of the capital. Not to mention all the sightseeing boats and dinner cruising boats in the central area.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Distance from Cruise Ship Dock

We also will be docking at Stadsgarden August 2 on the Star Princess.

I understand you can walk to Old Town.

What is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum from the ship?

Exursion is approx 80 dollars times 4 people and it is Waitlisted anyway.

Thanks for any info from someone that has done this.

D

BostonRus, your ship docks at Stadsgarden 167 if the date is 2007-08-02. If any of the other dates in August, it docks at Frihamnen, as far as I can see.

From Stadsgarden to the Vasa Museum you have two easy variants if you do not take a taxi, which will set you back 20-30 US one-way.

1 As Smulan says, walk (easy) along the cay to the edge of Gamla stan where you take "Djurgardsfarjan" ferry to Grona Lund, Djurgarden. The boat ride takes only 5-10 min and leaves frequently every 10-15 min. While on Djurgarden walk left along the seashore 400-500 meters to the Vasa Museum.

2 Walk the same way to Gamla stan, where you board red city bus #76 from the road "Skeppsbron" on the edge of Gamla stan (10 m from "Djurgardsfarjan"). Or even somewhat closer from traffic and transport hub "Slussen". Tell the driver to let you off at "Djurgardsbron" from where you see the Vasa Museum with its characteristic masts on the roof. From the busstop it is a 200 m walk.

Why do not you do both, each way. Buses are quite modern, fast and safe. Tickets (26 SEK) not bought on the bus but in the busstops at ticketing mashines or at parking ticket mashines, most of them by credit card (or all; cash).