We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

I have an extra 36 hours on an upcoming trip-- should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

thanks!

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Where is your trip to? 36 hours isn't a very long time, so my answer would probably differ depending on your main destination.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Stockholm is much more interestig than Oslo.

Miami
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

I am in the same quandry. I will be in Copenhagen for five days and will have about three days to travel somewhere else in the area.

It seems from what I'm told that the scenery is better in Oslo but that there is more to do in Stockholm. I'm tending towards Stockholm which also seems to have better priced hotels.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

The scenery is better in Oslo? Why did you get that impression?

There is nothing wrong with Oslo but it does not compare to Stockholm in beauty nor activities.

Miami
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Just what I was told by someone who travels a lot. I think he was particularly taken by the fjords.

Stockholm it is. Thanks

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Well, the most dramatic and impressive fjords are found outside of Bergen, so if that's what you want I suggest you skip both Stockholm and Oslo and go to Bergen instead. The Oslo fjord as seen from the city is just a wide expanse of water surrounded by relatively flat land... which in that respect makes it very similar to Stockholm, where there's plenty of waterfront running through the city. You will find, though, that Norwegian prices make Sweden seem like a very good bargain indeed. I suggest reading some travel reports on the internet, since a lot of e.g. North Americans tend to visit both places on tours and may offer a comparison that won't be tainted by the potential bias of locals :-D.

Columbia,SC
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
7. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

Our problem is not 36 hours, but after 10 days in Sweden on pilgrimage, we will have about 1 week... and wonder if train to Oslo to visit a friend there is unreasonable use of time. One of us is Swedish descent, the other Norsk. The swede wants to look into ancestral roots, but doesn't want to miss the friend in Oslo, but doesn't want to spend the entire week on the train.... is the trip between the two cities worthwhile? I know Bergen-Oslo is worthwhile! Is there something else in Sweden that would be worth much more since time is limited? Visby was suggested...

Thanks

Stockholm Sweden
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

I have lived in both and live just outside Stockholm today. Depends on what you are looking for really?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

I believe Oslo is a great deal more expensive than Stockholm, so if cost is a consideration, I'd opt for Stockholm.

A beautiful, unique city, with lots to see and do.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Should I visit Oslo or Stockholm?

110% Stockholm!!!!!!!