We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Stockholm - please help!

Medford, MA
12 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Stockholm - please help!

Hello all!!

I'm going to plan a trip to sweden (my 1st time!) --

I've been to Europe only once... it was 2 yrs ago.. london 1 night, paris 2 nites, rome 4 nites, naples, nice, brussels, & amsterdam.... it was such a short 2 week trip!!

my best friend & i have been talking about planning a trip to europe... and we thought about italy, and england, france, germany and everywhere else....

we decided... sweden! (it was an easy decision -- pretty blonde girls, beautiful country, rich history, etc.)

so.. in about 2 months.... possibly the last week of October into November -- we're going to go to Stockholm!!

Ok, so i have a few questions:

1) Is October / November a good time to go?? Are there any special holidays, traditions, events going on??

2) How is the weather there at that time? (in farenheit).... also... i heard it can get dark certain parts of the year for long hours -- and light... is that true?? -- how will it be @ that time??

3) where to stay?... I recently stayed @ the W in NYC and fell in love with the hotel... i notice there aren't any in Sweden yet -- but is there any equivalent?? (upscale, nice, contemporary, discotec, restaurant, etc.)

4) Historical sites, museums, etc.... i've always had an interest in vikings -- are there any good viking ruins, towns, sites, etc.

5) When i visited Rome, Paris, London... i liked the cities of course... but i felt like they were so globalized that i didnt get a good feel for each country's culture..... I went to Naples Italy, however, and it was all italians, etc. -- and i really felt it ---- but im Rome it was more globalized, etc. ----------------------- Is Stockholm very globalized???... what are some good cities to visit that are a little bit smaller in size, and like Naples is to Italy.

6) Night life..... how is the night life in Stockholm? Are there big clubs, club music, a good ratio of girls, etc. etc.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Stockholm - please help!

Hi Medford

Stockholm is so beautiful, you're going to love it. I didnt find it so 'globalised'. We stayed at the Sheraton hotel and found it perfectly located for us to walk around the city plus it has a bar, restaurant. There's also a Bavarian restaurant/bar adjoined to it which we found had good food and beer.

Food is reallly really good but you have to book for the best places as we found everywhere got pretty booked up at the weekend.

We didnt go clubbing so i can't really answer that but as for pubs we found a few reasonably priced ones out of the centre, including an Irish one where we learned the art of The Snoos.

A must is the boat tour - very informative and worth going on. We also went on the bus tour which again was really informative.

It was November last year that we went and found that the weather wasnt as cold as we expected although it did rain alot. I dont recall anything about when it got dark/how light during the day so it cant have been all that different from the UK. The only thing with going in November, if my memory serves me correctly, is that the boat tours of the archipelago dont run.

Enjoy!

regards, Queenbee xxxxx

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Stockholm - please help!

There is no W in Stockholm but for boutique hotels like W there is: Hotel Rival (owned by one of the ABBA guys), Hotel Berns, Hotel Clarion Hotel, Birger Jarl, Hotel J, Hotel Nordic Light, Hotel Nordic Sea, Hellsten Hotel and http://www.clarionsign.com/ (opens in a year with the famous Aquavit restuarant) a few more!!

For museums, check out this website:

www.stockholmsmuseer.com/museer/vasa.php3

Check out City Hall where the Nobel Peace Price take place.

For open air museum, check out http://www.skansen.se/pages/?ID=221

For night life there is plenty!! The night club and bar scene is huge! Dress to impress and have a good attitude!

I would check out clubs and bars like: Laroy, Nox, V, White Room, Neu, Esque, F12, Sturecompaniet, Hells Kitchen, Viola, Cafe Opera, Solidaritet, Hotellet and much more

Have fun!!!

Storvreta
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Stockholm - please help!

Hi Medford!

I wouldn't say that October/November is the best time of the year to visit Stockholm. The days are short and you never know what the weather will be like - snowstorm, rain, sunshine, not even the meteorologists can predict it correctly. They have a saying in Sweden which roughly translated says " there is no bad weather only bad (the wrong)clothes". If you follow that advice you should be okay. Think layers and don't forget warm gloves. A better time to visit would probably be from June-September.

Check out Stockholmtown.com which is the official visitor's guide. There are lots of interesting museums in Stockholm. I can recommend the Vasa museum and Skansen -- at least my relatives enjoyed it when they were here. You can see the city by boat and take day-trips out into the archepelago.

Uppsala is a city about a 45 minute traintrip from Stockholm which is worth a visit. Lots of trains daily. Gamla Uppsala, Uppsala cathedral (Gustav Vasa's grave), the old university buildings and the castle are all worth seeing. Sigtuna is also an old town with som ruins and not too far from Stockholm

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Stockholm - please help!

Hi Medford

Just back from my first trip to Stockholm and I have to say it is a lovely city. We stayed in the Clarion its about 7 minutes on the underground from Gamla Stan. The station is right beside the hotel.

Its also 2 minutes walk to Medborgarplatsen which was very lively when I was there. But that was in August so lots of tables outside the bars. The Clarion was very good and the breakfast was huge.

I would very much recommend the Stockholm card, as entrance fees to most things can add up as can using public transport. You can also do the canal tour and a boat tour and a ferry ride on the card, museums etc. We certainly got great value out of our 3 day pass.

Hope you have a good trip

5. Re: 1st time to Stockholm - please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:20