We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Youth hostelling on the archipelego

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Youth hostelling on the archipelego

Hi - we're about to leave for a trip to the Stockholm archipelego - with nights in Uto (3) , Fjärdlång (1) and Dalaro (1). We have two kids (4 and 5 years old) and are staying in youth hostels (and a cottage on Fjardlang). It's about 20 years since I last stayed in a youth hostel so would really appreciate any advice on what we should be packing for the trip or just anything that might be of use for us to know.

As Scots we know all about dressing for all weathers in one day :) but is there anything else you would regard as essential or just really useful for such a trip... Also, any recommentations for effective tick repellent would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much for any advice - this forum has been a huge help in planning our trip.

Östersund
Level Contributor
47 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

STF has the most hostels in Sweden, becoming a member for like 500:- sek for a family gives you discount wich usually is a good thing if staying more than say 2 nights. Always bring some ben-linnens since that is almost never included, guess it cost around 50:- sek each per stay otherwise.

svenskaturistforeningen.se/templates/…

It is avaliable in English.

Regarding clothes, always bring a rainjacket or good windjacket along with some warm socks since the floor in the old hostels might be cold. Alo a warm nice sweater for the evenings...and some mosquito-oil just in case.

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
2. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

Thanks Fierman - that's really useful. I wasn't sure about bed linen. Anything else?

Östersund
Level Contributor
47 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

Hmm...let me think.

--Extras---

Cleaning is made by the guests themselves and breakfast is not included but can be bought on many places.

--Costs and membership---

It is a 50:- sek extra cost per night/person if not a member, 25:e for kids. A family-membership is maximum 430:- sek so it might be useful to buy the first day.

A membership in STF also qualify for discount on other hostels in the world via www.hihostels.com

Hope you have a nice trip, the Archipelago is very nice if the weather is nice :-)

Stockholm
7 posts
4. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

I would recommend vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis (TBE). Otherwise, avoid high grass and other places where ticks are found. An effective tick repellents (the same as mosquito repellents) called "MyggA" can be bought at the pharmacy monopoly (Apoteket).

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

Thanks so much for all that - I think we have left it too late for the vacination, I mentioned it to my doctor a couple of months back and he looked at me like I was barking! Obviously I should have persisted. Thanks though for the advice on the repellent - I'm pretty paranoid about ticks especially with the children running about!

I'd completely forgotten about cleaning up in the hostels - so that's a really good reminder!

6. Re: Youth hostelling on the archipelego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:19