We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

6 posts
Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

Hi! I will be in Stockholm next June with three of my friends. I am finding myself a little overwhelmed trying to figure out how the public transport system works. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get around Stockholm? I know about the train from the airport, but I am wondering about more daily travel.

11 replies to this topic
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

Buy an SL card. You can either load it with money and pay for each trip, och buy one that is valid for unlimited travel for a fixed amount of time (the latter is usually very good value). Available as both plastic card (20 kr fee for the card) or paper ticket.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

I would agree with Jonas about getting an SL Card, you can get one for 1/3/7 days. Also download any transit app such as SL or Moovit which will help you get around Stockholm, Please note that the SL card is not valid on the Arlanda Express train,

Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
162 reviews
3. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

The cheapest way is of course to walk! I was in Stockholm for about 8 days last month; I did get the three day Access card, but I only used it two days. Perhaps I was lucky with the weather (it rained maybe three days that I was there), but I just found that I was able to walk to most places. I'd suggest mapping it out and seeing what makes the most sense based on your location and itinerary. I wound up walking to all the major sites as my hotel was in the city center near The King's Garden; the only time I used my Access card was (i) the combo T-bana/bus journey to Drottingholm Palace and (ii) the combo train/bus during my journey from Uto back to Stockholm. Economically, I would have been better off had I bought single journey trips. Note that I used the Flybuss for airport transport. Of course, everyone is different in terms of how much they like to walk, so luckily you have some options.

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
766 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

More information about public transport in Stockholm, here

https://sl.se/en/

Buy a 72 hour / 24 hour / or weekly card, and use the travel planner on that link.

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
5. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

I am going to be in a very similar situation as the author of this message. I am trying to understand the plan of action when it comes to traveling within Stockholm and the tickets.

There is a lots of detailed information about the available options here: https://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

Personally, I am in favour of downloading the smart phone ticket app but haven't done so yet. What confuses me is the situation with the plastic card (SL card?) which costs 20 kr. Is it a separate card which I would need to purchase once in Sweden or is is it already going to be included into the price I will pay for the ticket in the app?

I am trying high and low to find the distinction/clarification about this and so far no joy...

Please help? :)

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

It's usually better to start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.

But, the plastic card itself costs 20 kr, correct. It is a separate credit card sized plastic card that can be loaded with different kinds of tickets. If you buy a ticket in the app, there is of course no need to get a plastic card. So you will save 20 kr. There are also paper tickets available, that will save you 20 kr. The drawback is that they are not that durable so you need to be a bit more careful with them.

7. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 December 2018, 17:50

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

It wasn't intended to be harsh at all, just a bit of advice. Mostly because it is easier to spot a new thread with no replies. When replying to an existing thread there is a risk that other will not notice that there is a new question there and it will remain unanswered.

Strangnas, Sweden
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

If you download the app, instead of getting the Access card, you may not be able to use the turnstiles in the metro stations and commuter train stations. The access card will open the turnstiles for you, but with the app you may need to go to the manned booth and scan your ticket there. I know that SL is replacing the turnstiles so that you'll be able to scan the ticket in the app in the turnstiles as well, but I don't know how that work is progressing.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
677 reviews
10. Re: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?

It is supposed to be completed this year according to SL homepage.

Reply to: Best/cheapest way to get around Stockholm?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted