We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
60 reviews
Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Hi. I am trying to find a not expensive option for a sim car for 2 weeks vacation in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. I was googling and found some options but I am not sure if they are actually good and working.

Some options I found are:

https:/…sim-card-for-scandinavia.html for $11.73 USD and 1 GB fast mobile internet/ data + 200 minutes/texts to 32 countries to Europe for +$11.73. So total of $23.46. It says the provider is Vodafone.

https:/… This has multiple options. 3 GB is for €39,90 (incl. VAT). 1 GB is for €28,90 (incl. VAT)

So does anyone know of any local Scandinavian company providing this service? I need 1 - 2 GB and really don't care much about calling unless emergency comes up (which I hope won't happen).

Thanks

21 replies to this topic
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Telia: Unlimited calls and text messages, 2 GB data. 199 kr

Halebop: 100 calls, 1000 text messages, 2 GB data. 169 kr

Telenor: Unlimited calls and text messages, 2 GB data. 149 kr

There are other operators as well, but it sounds like it will be cheaper to just go with a Scandinavian company.

Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Great. Are the prices you mentioned monthly or can be used as long as there is still usage?

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

They are monthly for a prepaid sim card. I'm not sure about the terms and conditions, just checked a few websites for the prices advertised.

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
766 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Short answer:

I recommend buying a Telenor prepaid over the counter, in Sweden, if you want to be able to use it in all 3 countries.

https:/…

(There is a tab with an English version if you scroll down).

Longer answer with explanation:

Beware of one thing though:

You want to use the SIM card in Sweden, Denmark and Norway. 3 countries. And this means, Roaming, i. e. using the SIM card in a different country than the one where you bought it.

Since the introduction of the free roaming in June last year, the operators have introduced restrictions on roaming, on some of their offerings, for instance prepaid. And this means, that you may for instance need to register your prepaid to be allowed to roam, (requiring a Swedish personal number), or, there may be an extra fee to be allowed to roam.

Once you are allowed to roam though, you do that to the same price as in the country where you bought the SIM card, that is what the free roaming means. And I think the operators do this, in order to avoid Europeans to shop around for a cheaper price, by ordering a SIM card from an operator in a different European country.

I did some research on this last summer, for someone on this forum. And this may have changed since then, so doublecheck with the operators.

Telia requires you to register the prepaid SIM card.

I am not sure about the other operators.

But, Telenor, as the only Swedish operator, does not require any extra fees or registration, for roaming.

https:/…

(There is a tab with an English version if you scroll down).

But this unpersonal Telenor prepaid SIM, can only be bought in Sweden, across the counter. If ordered over the internet it requires a Swedish personal number.

Danish operators don't allow roaming with prepaid SIMs, (again this was as of last summer).

Norwegian operators, I don't know.

¨

--

What you might do, is to check with your local operator the cost for using the SIM card in Scandinavia.

Also, if not starting your trip in Sweden, check with the operators whether as a foreigner, you could order a prepaid SIM without registering with a Swedish personal number.

Edited: 31 December 2017, 11:22
Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. As my first landing in EU is Iceland, I did some research there and found that Vodafone in Iceland offers a good prepaid sim cards with free roaming. The good thing is that I can buy a sim which has 3 months expiry. This means, I won't have to worry about the 2nd trip. They also allow top ups through online account.

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
766 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Ok, that sounds good then!

Urbana, Illinois
1 post
7. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Hi - what did you end up using? We're looking for a similar service for this summer. Any recommendation (for/against) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

Currently in Norway. I tried 3 different SIM from Sweden ... None worked. I spent 2 hours with sales representatives with no luck. SIM gets recognized. I can call using it but it doesn't accept calls nor give me a phone number under status. Interestingly when adding Data, I receive a text confirming the activation but internet doesn't work. We played with the setting unsuccessfully. I ended up roaming twice only (2 days). One when we had a flat tire 30 Km North of Oslo with no spare in the new rental car. I suggest you try whatever available in Denmark maybe something works. Thanks

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
9. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

I found this post very useful as I am headed to Iceland, Greenland and the 4 Scandinavian countries at the end of June 2018. Can I just confirm that it is possible to buy a Vodafone SIM card in Iceland that will last 3 months and works in the other countries as well? We battled in Europe last year trying to get a sim without having a local number.

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
766 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)

I think, you had better ask Vodafone directly, if you have a specific question like that.

Reply to: Sim card in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted