We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
10 reviews
Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

Hi, I'm looking at airlines SAS and Norwegian for direct flights within Scandinavia. Based on the reviews, it's difficult to decide which is worse than the other. For a short-haul direct flight, it really shouldn't matter. But I would like to avoid cancellations. Does anyone know which of these two airlines might be more reliable? Thanks.

18 replies to this topic
Michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
227 reviews
1. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

I have great luck with both. I will pick either based on price and flight time availability.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

SAS is the old flag carrier, reliable and old fasioned in the way that they have some form of customer service!

Norwegian is the young contender, also reliable, younger fleet, (SAS is renewing right now), but less service of something goes wrong.

I have a loyality card with both!

So its as travelinman says, let times and price decide!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
662 reviews
3. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

I couldn't agree more. My views exactly.

Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
937 reviews
4. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

As a holder of loyality cards with both of them, I agree too. Norwegian is good as long as everything goes according to the schedule. Personally, if time makes no difference and price is similar I always go for SAS.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
383 posts
150 reviews
5. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

I've been flying from Chicago to STO on the new planes. If the route you are going has the new planes, go with SAS. Even the cheap seats are good.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

Thanks, all. Sounds like SAS (especially with new planes) could be a better choice. But all in all, it seems that there isn't a lot of difference between the two airlines.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
87 reviews
7. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

For routes within Europe the difference is not that great. Norwegian might have a younger fleet, but the age of the aircraft is not that important in my opinion if all the repairs are done. But SAS are introducing new more modern and (more important) less noisy planes in their fleet. And if you have a frequent flyer card with Singapore Airlines, flying with SAS will give you some FF points.

If the prices are about the same I'll go with SAS since their planes have a nicer interior (at least the new ones), and you get free coffee/tea. And they have better customer service if things go wrong.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
222 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

For peace of mind, I would fly with SAS as it's more reliable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
9. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

I need to make the same decision, the Norwegian booking system seems a lot better than the SAS which seems to take ages to bring up the times / prices. Doesn't give me confidence in the rest of their efficiency

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
662 reviews
10. Re: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?

So follow your instinct.

Reply to: Which airline? SAS or Norwegian?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted