We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

My husband and I have two nights in Stockholm, after arriving from Australia and before joining our tour group. We were wondering what section of Stockholm we should look at for our first two nights accommodation? It is essential that we are near public transport, it would be nice it if was accessible from the airport by public transport and a safe and central-ish part of town. We expect to do very little on day one. We arrive at 0700 and will drop our bags at the hotel or Airbnb until we are allowed to check in and sleep!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

4 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
411 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

Popular areas are Norrmalm, Östermalm, Gamla Stan, Södermalm, Vasastan and Kungsholmen.

The eastern part of Norrmalm is in my opinion the best area to stay in Stockholm. Central and close to sights/attractions being located sort of in-between old town and Djurgården. Good public transportation access, but no direct access from the airport, will require you to take the metro for one station from the central station. Hotels can however be a little pricy in this area. Some hotels located here are Grand Hotel, Lydmar Hotel, Hotel Kungsträdgården, Nobis Hotel, Radisson Collection Strand Hotel, Berns Hotel and Hotel Diplomat (technically located on Östermalm but still generally the same area as the other hotels).

The western part of Norrmalm, by the central station, is very accessible and obviously has the best access to public transportation and the airports. The area is however a bit too busy in my opinion with a lot of traffic and little character. Better suited for the business traveller.

The central part of Norrmalm, around Brunkebergstorg, is conveniently located but the area is un-charming.

Gamla Stan (Old town) is the most charming and quaint neighbourhood but also very touristy. Besides, dragging luggage along cobbled streets can be a pain…

For Östermalm the best areas to stay around would be Strandvägen and the park Humlegården.

For Södermalm either west or east of Slussen would be recommended, i.e. around Mariatorget or Katarina Kyrka. Slussen is conveniently located from a transportation standpoint but there is a lot of construction going on in the area.

Vasastan and Kungsholmen are areas with good public transportation access and good access from the airport but one would have to rely more on public transportation as most sights and attractions aren’t within a walkable distance. Hotels can however be cheaper due to this reason. For Vasastan it would be advisable to stay around Odenplan or Rådmansgatan and for Kungsholmen around Fridhemsplan or on the eastern edge near Norrmalm.

This map shows you the different neighbourhoods: …blogspot.com/-oQPvurIWz1M/…IMG_3797.JPG

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

WOW Aderam. You have really gone to a lot of trouble. Thank you so much. I will now be able to fine tune my hunt for the 'right' place for us to stay. Thanks again. Best wishes. Dona

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

Is Lidingo a nice area to stay? Is it accessible from the airport.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.

It is a high end residential area, lot of beautiful big houses. Not much to do for a tourist, a bit boring maybe. There is Millesgården if you like art. Nice for long walks by the sea since an island.

Easily accessible by taxi from airport, but not the most convenient for public transport, although possible with changes. They have their own tram/light rail line, Lidingöbanan.

Edited: 28 July 2018, 05:09
Reply to: two nights in stockholm in August, where to stay.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted