We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

England vs Sweden

1 post
England vs Sweden

Really odd question, by chance, I'm from England and arriving in Sweden the day we face them in the World Cup quarter finals. I want to go to a pub to watch the game but after my most recent trip, to Russia, ended quite violently, I'm concerned about football hooliganism. I'm not like that by any stretch, and would simply like to watch the game in a pub setting, I'd sit quietly and cheer both teams on out of respect. Would I likely encounter any trouble?

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: England vs Sweden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 July 2018, 13:37
Edited: 04 July 2018, 13:37

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
2. Re: England vs Sweden

What happened to you, when and in which city?

Why are you going to Sweden but not to the stadium during such an important game for your team?

Could any native English speakers check the language of Alex? Is he really from England? punctuation in the msg seems to be more like Russian one. And the language as well.

Edited: 04 July 2018, 16:05
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: England vs Sweden

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If I remember correctly, during the UEFA Euro 2016 the Swedish fans behaved themselves. Unlike the English (and Russian) fans…

Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
943 reviews
4. Re: England vs Sweden

Really sivkovdm? If punctuation and grammar were to determine one's nationality, half of the Englishmen I know would have to change their passports to, I don't know, American maybe...

Don't worry, if you behave yourself respectfully, you won't encounter any trouble.

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
5. Re: England vs Sweden

Native speakers and those who have studied the language use it in different ways. People of different nationalities think in different ways. Actually it’s almost always obvious if an English speaking person is from the UK (or the US).

As for situation. Does no one suppose it to be weird? A man is going to another country instead of attending an important match. By a strange coincidence this country is turned to be Sweden. Well, of course, everything might happen to him. As for violence I can face it near my home without any connection to football. The fact is that I have never seen real football hooligans in our city. It doesn’t mean the firms don’t exist here but it seems they do not reveal themselves now. There was England – Panama game in my city. There were English fans in the fan zone, in cafes, in bars, with flags and attributes. The Saint George's Crosses were raised on the walls and I saw a man walking alone with it near my home….. Well they haven’t found any hooligans and that guy did and decided to leave the country.

Has anyone else here has faced the same situation?

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: England vs Sweden

I think Swedish hooligans keep it between the clubs. Almost always unrest on the derbys between the Stockholm teams. But I have never heard of Swedish fans misbehaving with the national team.

But I wouldnt go to one of the pubs where hardcore AIK, Djurgården or Hammarby fans hang out with an England jersey!

Find a middle of the road place downtown!

At O´Connels i the old town i bet you will find some countrymen!

Reply to: England vs Sweden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted