We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation away from smell?

delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation away from smell?

Hello

Is there any recommended accomodation away from the sulphur smell yet walking distance from town centre / restaurant?

I am considering doolans's country estate or city lights boutique B&B - however both seem a bit far from town..

Looking forward to your inputs

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

Was in Rotorua early January and really have to say did not notice the smell at all and neither did international visitors.

For walking distance maybe look at motels along Fenton Street?

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

We are in Rotorua for 2 nights in December. There was no smell at all when we arrived. The next morning, it was very smelly and it was everywhere. I think that when it smells, it is the whole area, but people more familiar with the area can confirm that, or negate it. We stayed at Sport of Kings motel, which is about 25 minutes walk south of the centre.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Sport of Kings Motel
Sport of Kings Motel
1,322 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

Depends on the cloud cover and the wind direction. Many days it is barely noticeable and, as far as I know, the smell has never killed anybody,

Oz
Level Contributor
14,274 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

Hi,

Being from Delhi if the aroma of sulfur is blowing towards your accommodation you will think it's a breath of fresh air compared to home.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

The smell in Rotorua is exaggerated. You notice it when you arrive if conditions are right (wrong?) and then it fades to nothing. It's not a consideration.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

lol I tend to agree with the Delhi part.. It's horrible air quality here

However I was concerned about the smell as my mom & husband are sensitive to strong smells & sometimes it triggers migraines. So thought it's a wise idea to atleast stay away for it during the night.

Anyways, any recommendations between for accomodation even in city centre - was liking some of the B&Bs for the personal touch of hosts as well.

Has anyone stayed at Doolan's or City Lights?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

I don't know about B&Bs, but the hosts we had in Rotorua were the best hosts we ever had anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

Both Doolans and City Lights have received positive reports but as you said they are a distance from the CBD. Hosts of most B & Bs throughout New Zealand and many I know in Rotorua offer particularly friendly and helpful service.There are hotels and motels close to the CBD. It is really for you to decide whether the CBD or possibility of a smell causing migraines, takes priority. You could look at AirBNB and see if there is anything suits your needs. www.rotoruanz.com may also be helpful. Rotorua Lakeside Lodge may suit your needs.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Rotorua
Rotorua
Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

NZMikes reply # 5 is exactly right !

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation away from smell?

:) My wife and I have sgnificant problems with asthma. we don't have problem in rotorua.